Howdy,

Last weekend i was in Marks Glanza and he properly opened her up and it was dam fast. So fast i am thinking that it was quicker than mine so there was only one way to tell. I got a cheap boost guage off Alex and hooked it up to both cars.

Now he is running 12 psi and i am running 6 psi.

Mine being a fairly standard engine im guessing mine is standard pressure and his has been upped using his HKS Actuator by the previous owner.

In a few weeks when im well more than run in i was thinking of getting the actuator to up my boost slightly. What effect would this have as i don't know at what pressure fuel cut kicks in.

Thanks a lot

Bourkey

Hey,

If he has a HKS actuator, then almost certainly that is what is upping his boost levels.

Your (assumably) Glanza engine will have a boost restrictor (~6psi) in 1st and 2nd, you can bypass this with ease and get stock boost (8-9psi) in all gears, instead of 3 onwards only. As for upping the boost, Most people aim for about 10-11psi, although 12psi is also doable and safe on standard ecu.

Fuel cut occurs when the map sensors sends ~4.15V to the ECU, which varies in boost pressure from car to car, but its usually at around about 0.85 bar (12.2 or so psi)

Don't forget that you're car will *probably* creep up to (if not over) fuel cut, causing the ECU to cut fuel ( lol ) if you set the actuator close to this boost level. Do you have an induction kit/uprated air filter or an exhaust/decat? If either, there is a good chance of be creeping up to fuel cut.

If it does, you'd want to port the wastegate (to allow more air to exit, giving a more stable boost level), or get a FCD with suitable fueling mods (rrfpr/ECU/whatever). The latter will allow you to run 1 bar (~14-15psi) with no problem :rolleyes:

Hope this covers everything for ya

Dave

The engine itself does not have any restriction on at at all as it is from an EP82 and the air con pump removed as well.

The mods i have are:

FMIC

Induction kit

No air con

Gutted cat

I have also ported the wastegate a little as well when the engine was out of the car.

So if im running 6psi what does that mean. Am i running low boost???

Thanks a lot

Bourkey

Certianly does mean low boost mate, unless its a pressure drop due to the FMIC though, what brand is it?

With those mods, I'd get an adjustable actuator/boost controller and aim for around 10psi, if it creeps (and it shouldn't if its ported) then I'd restrict the intake (duct tape its surface up, mibbe leave around 25% of it to breathe through and take it from there).

No bother

Dave

I wouldn't bother with the hi/lo solenoid mate, just plumb it so your running high boost all the time (so vacuum tube straight off actuator to turbo). Seems like your running lo boost constantly, so could be a problem with the solenoid. I found that I couldn't run 12psi with my mods as it would creep and hit fuel cut, and 12psi is pretty damn close to fuel cut. I got my car rr'ed with 11psi and made 150hp and 137lb/ft which is quite good. I am now running only 10psi because over the winter it was creeping up to fuel cut (think because of my front exit and semi-relocated air filter.)

I will be getting a JAM FCC and RRFPR over summer and running 15psi though, can't wait :rolleyes:

@ Rick - Nope the solenoid is not there. I took the whole hi lo boost function out and all the pipework to it as well. Is this good or bad? Im thinking that just putting the actuator on would rectify this. Am i right.

@ Dave - The FMIC is one of Dave Burwashes Autobahn replica's. I doubt it is that as Mark has the same one and he hasn't had any pressure drops.

Bourkey

just looked at pics of your bay.

the front nipple on the actuator goes to the compressor housing, as you have it.

but what have you done with the nipple on the back on the actuator? i see you dont have the pipework on the side of the pulley cover.

this nipple should be open to the air. if yoube blocked that off itll only boost low. thats how the standard boost solenoid works. it is a dual port actuator setup and it restricts the airflow to regulate boost.

i suspect thats the problem.

give me a call if you want a heads up when you have your head in the engine bay.

No bother, I though maybe it was a home made one with some bad bends in it or something If its autobahn it'll be fine.

@ Dave - :rolleyes:. Well thats good to know it aint that.

@ Rick - Oh my god you must be right!!!! I have blocked it off!!! I thought id be leaking air if i left this open!!!! Im going to remove it tonight when i get home.Is there a good chance that this will solve my problem???

Bourkey

:rolleyes::(:rolleyes::)!!! Problem fixed and the boost is mega!!!!!

Now next problem. Im hitting fuel cut quite easily now. Im gonna duck tape the induction kit for the time being but what could properly solve the problem???

Bourkey

@ Dub Se7en - You should ahve told me as i am not that clever. I just did it ecause i thought i'd be leaking air.

@ Rick - Yes it was the nipple. I am a bulb!

What would solve my fuel cut issues now? I don't want to be spending money on things that wont work. Would a HKS/Toy tuning actuator do the job as i just want it sorted with having to spend tons on loads of parts as i have a holiday in 2 months.

Cheers

Bourkey

@ Rick - I do plan on getting the EBC after my holiday or next month depending on how much my end of tax year bonus is. If an actuator will do the trick i will have to get one.

The boost is so hard. I drove Marks Glanza the other day to compare it and his power delivery is more gradual where as soon as mine comes on boost it's like it being hit by an express train. Is this normal??

Bourkey

Is the free flowing setup a good or a bad thing?

After my fuel cutting problems last night i wrapped the induction 95% up in duck tape as Idrees got the N/A airbox a few months ago. It has stopped the fuel cut quite a lot and i can put my foot down half on the throttle and it wont cut. But until the turbo spools up the car now feels weak.

I have to get the actuator asap as i don't like it restricted as it is now.

Bourkey

Well i seem to have proved how shit they are :rolleyes:

I'll get the actuator as soon as possible then the EBC. Id get a manual EBC but i've heard a few horror stories about them so i don't want to take the risk.

It's good to also know that the setup i have is good when i have the actuator as well. I've got into this as a novice and i thought i'd be doing a lot worse.

Bourkey