Problem Wiring Up Rear Speakers!

Hi All

I have tried to look for this wiring loom that is meant to be in the rear side of the car where the car jack is etc.

Really need advice in how to wire up the rear speakers on the parcel shelf as I want some rear sounds for the moment before I invest in amps etc. I just got a sr parcel shelf with speakers off rmsnoel and need to wire the speakers up asap.

Any advice would be great and a step by step would be even better, Im havin a nightmare finding this loom as I took the whole rear right panel off, and ended up empty handed. My mate had no clue either lol!

Simple thing I know but this stuff happens ;b

Look forward to hearin from someone soon.

Peace Out

From Joz

Hey mate,

The wiring loom is hiding behind the interior panels. It is near the carjack hole,but is very hard to get to from there.

The loom is actually located above the rear drivers-side wheel...if that makes sense....so it is closer to the driver than the carjack.

If your starlet is a 3 door...then this is how i did it...five door shouldnt be too much different - but interior panels maybe slightly different.

1. Open Drivers Door

2. Pull off the plastic panel (long rectangular one along the foot well - where you step into the car), this is only held in by plastic clips

3. Slide the Drivers seat as forward as you can, and you will see a few screws you need to take out to remove the next interior panel

4. Take out these screws and pull off the big side panel.

5. Keep going with taking out the screws and pulling off panels until pretty much all the drivers side interior is removed right back to the boot.

6. You should see the wiring loom above the rear wheel arch...or you know where the little container well is for the rear seat passenger - its behind that!

Hope that all makes sense...if it doesnt, just ask

Cheers,

Craig.

Hi Craig

Thanks for that!

I will check it out in daylight 2morrow!

So I take it I will need additional speaker wire to wire it up to the loom?

I made the mistake of disassembling the whole rear drivers side panels lol.

I knew there was a loom as many people mentioned it.

Also thanks to Phil, I know you can hook it up to the jacks at the back of the head unit but this loom really does exist ;b

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers for the ICE info

Peace

From Joz

So I take it I will need additional speaker wire to wire it up to the loom?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The wiring loom has enough cable to thread it through to the carjack cabinet. It is actually rolled up with tape. So all you need to do is cut the tape and thread the cable into the little carjack compartment. From there I wired it to the speakers. So yeh you will need enough wire to go from the parcel tray back to the little carjack compartment...thats if you do it the way i did and push the wiring loom through from behind the panels into the carjack compartment.

Again, hope this makes sense :o

Cheers,

Craig

Cheers mate!

Still ain't had a chance to check it out.

Bloody snowing around these parts :o

Will let you know once I get it sorted.

You really have to be careful not to rip any of the plastic skirting apart lol.

Peace Out

From Joz

if you wanna be really fly witht the wiring and cut out as much interferance as possible then redo the wiring from the haed unit and replace the terminal ends with gold ends and keep as little breaks in the system. ive just redone my parcel shelf ill get pics once i put everything bk in.

:lol: OK Lol

I had a hard time removing the panels so I decided to be 'fly' and re-wired from the head unit :lol:

Nothing was working for me with the skirting etc and there were no screws to remove the front panels in my car... I really wanted to get that loom.

Anywayz main thing is I now have the SR parcel shelf speakers working now and they sound pretty good for oem ones, shelf cost me 15 beans from good ol rmsnoel, speakers and all.

Pretty chuffed, but sound could be much better.

Thanks for everyones advice.

And yeah, that loom is elusive but still around there sumwhere lol.

Peace Out

Joz

• 5 weeks later...

I've just got some rear speakers myself, doing a bit of googling, and found a post on the australia version of the toyota owners fourm that claims if the car didn't come with rear speakers, then the cable won't be there,.....

Does anybody know if this is the truth or not?

3. Slide the Drivers seat as forward as you can, and you will see a few screws you need to take out to remove the next interior panel

I'm with Joz, removing the step-in panel doesn't reveal any screws, it needs to removed anyway as it clips onto the rear passenger panel, is it a case of undo screws at rear and pivot it out? has anybody else tried to remove this panel?

Its hard to remove the panels unless you know what you are doing!

I got so far and stopped, just to make sure I didn't break anything as I don't think the staret skirting is high quality and would be a bummer to replace.

Linking the wiring off the head unit is fine until u invest in a proper amp and subs etc when you then have to wire up the amp to the battery and earth the amp.

Thats the best I can think of,if your looking for temporary subtle sounds ;b

Peace Out

Joz

I've just got some rear speakers myself, doing a bit of googling, and found a post on the australia version of the toyota owners fourm that claims if the car didn't come with rear speakers, then the cable won't be there,.....

Does anybody know if this is the truth or not?

I'm with Joz, removing the step-in panel doesn't reveal any screws, it needs to removed anyway as it clips onto the rear passenger panel, is it a case of undo screws at rear and pivot it out? has anybody else tried to remove this panel?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nope, my starlet didnt come with rear speakers, and the loom was there. im pretty sure that all models would have it.

I posted that info ages after i had done it myself, so some of the steps could be a bit off, sorry my bad! but generally they should give you a bit of an idea of how to get to the loom....hopefully <_<

cheers,

Craig

The loom is there, in austraila everything is upside down and their just lookin on the wrong side of the car
<_<

I've got an uncle who does recovery for rallies, knows alot about wiring up car radios (ICE and comms) so next saturday I should be getting them thrown in

I'm going to use the existing loom with some computer power plugs so I can unplug and remove the parcel shelf if I need to. When I know more about ICE stuff and should I ever do a proper install I'll re-wire but for now I'll use the existing to make it easier. :lol:

I'll take a load of pic's, get it documentated properly

Hey Joz look what I found! B)

RearSpeakerWiringLoom.jpg

Took a lot of pics, not all of the best quality, I think my uncle was enjoying ripping the panels out just a little too much,....

More pics later, I'm off to bed got to get the parents to the airport for 5am, lucky me!

B) Nice Find Wings!!!

Its there to be found after all, I guess I just needed an uncle to pull out all of those panels lol ;b

Cool Cool! B)

I think linking off the head unit is exactly the same tho.

Good Work anywayz dude

Keep It Up

Laters & Safe Journey!

Peace Out

Joz

100 mile round trip with a 1min break yippie!, the new back speaker do make it a lot more enjoyable thou! B)

Pic of said JVC 6x9's through rear passenger window

RearSpeakers0.jpg

We drilled a hole through the rear-most (boot) interior panel nearest to where the speaker wires came off the loom and put a gromit in the hole before passing the wires through (looks a lot better than a simple hole of it appearing out of a join) notice also the standard Toyota plug has been removed and four wire connector crimp things attached

RearSpeakersGromit.jpg

I forgot to take a pic on the day, so I've just grabbed one but as it dark the camera can't focus so it's blury as hell, but this is the connector

RearSpeakersConnectors.jpg

I used a high quality audio connector, I'm a geek, and a 4-pin power connector was the first thing that came to mind, as it's prewired we just snipped the wires crimped them upto the loom/speakers and I now have the option to quickly and easily remove the parcel shelf should I need to.

Along the underside along the hinge edge ther was 5-6 cylinder things that looked like stuff could be screwed into them, so we scewed some wireholders into them if you look at the highest bit of yellow wire it's got a cable tie around it which holds the connector to the cable tidy and keeps it from flapping about

Better pic when I remember to take one in the light!