i have read through tones of info on doing the 5efte conversion. i have been told by rick and many others that the 5efe rods are a bad idea so in my quest to find a cost effective solution for the rods since i cant afford forged rods and cant seem to find stock 5efhe rods i found this http://www.tercelreference.com/tercel_info...e_info.html#top

it says here that the 3e rods a better than the 5efe so what im asking is do you guys agree with this.

cause i happen to have a 3e engine

so am i better off using the 3e rods ?

When upgrading rods for a 5E engine, the most tried and tested are either forged items or rare 5EFHE items.

Havent heard anything about 3E rods, but altho its a 1.5 engine there may still be complications.

If you read that site carefully it also states that 5EFHE rods are an upgrade over the 3E ones.

Its a very good site by the way.

The 5EFHE rods are the ideal ones to get in my opinion for the most cost effective working solution

How much are you willing to pay for a set of 5EFHE rods and where are you located?

Joz

IM in the little island of st lucia in the caribean

how much do u want for the rods?

i also think youve misunderstood my question because i did state that i cant afford the forged units and also the stock HE units are rear and most times expensive so would the 3e be a better soulution in this case

I did get your message ChineseMafia.

I believe that the 3E-TE rods would be very similar to the strength of 4EFTE rods, unfortunately you cant use 4EFTE rods in a 5E due to the taller block.

It is also 3E-TE rods that are the upgrade, I reckon that turbo engine will be hard to find.

I asked how much would you pay for 5EFHE ones because I may be able to track some down.

Also you have asked the parts department how much they are new, so better to wait for their answer.

Joz

well could you still look to see if you could track down a set and at what price so we can compare and i think in the mean time ill just use regular 5e rods as i have seen it done and it works now i no what you all gonna say but ill try it none the less for the hell of it

I will keep a look out mate however I checked out some shipping services to St Lucia and it seems very expensive to ship there just for a small item...

Im thinking it may be best to contact hardcoreep, his name is Rory and is located in Jamaica.

Here is his immense website Hardcore EP91.com

You will find him as a member (user is hardcoreep) on www.toyotagtturbo.com.

You will need to register if not a member already.

Im sure he can help you or at least give better advice as he is a VERY experienced EP tuner and also located in the West Indies like yourself.

He could be your 'link', just make sure to be polite :o

If all else fails I would order a new set from your closest Toyota dealer if they are a reasonable enough price.

Don't give up, and be patient to find the parts you need.

If you use the 5EFE rods you will be limited to how much potential boost/power you can get from the 5EFTE before the rods bend.

The 5EFHE rods are ideal for your needs.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Joz