Ebay Air filters...

It's basically the same I just want blue lol

I have a new idea for the intake (MUCH cheaper than my previous idea, but not sure if it will be any good)

-Move the radiator to the left a bit. (How much work is it to move the rad?)

-Keep the black rubber pipe with the vacuum resonator thing, and put the air sensor in the hole where the resonator is.

-Flexible air ducting from the black rubber pipe down to behind the front bumper. (Wrapped in heat reflective tape if it will make much difference?)

-Air filter on the end of the flexi pipe (so the filter is sat just behind the bumper)

Obviously it's going to have some cable ties or some shit to hold it all up, otherwise it's just going to flop around.

I'm unsure if it will be any good though, how much better would aluminium piping be?

You wont really be able to see it will you if its down below the bumper.....so i guess the colour doesnt matter......apollo looks the d-b`s

Yep, I want an Apollo, but don't want to pay the price B)

im after an apollo too........you rekon some1 would do it at slightly discounted price if we got like 5? mini gb? id pay around £100 for one

I saw some on ebay a couple of weeks ago for 70 quid + postage

but didn't have money B)

I wanted blue B)

anyhow, I would like a proper opinion on wether this is going to work or just be a waste of time

-Move the radiator to the left a bit. (How much work is it to move the rad?)

-Keep the black rubber pipe with the vacuum resonator thing, and put the air sensor in the hole where the resonator is.

-Flexible air ducting from the black rubber pipe down to behind the front bumper. (Wrapped in heat reflective tape if it will make much difference?)

-Air filter on the end of the flexi pipe (so the filter is sat just behind the bumper)

You will be fine with everthing except the rad moving looking at some of my engine bay pics...

220820086871.jpg

yellow line is the way you wanna route the pipe work

Blue section is what will have to move right?

Blue dots where you will have to relocate the rad mounts?

if so the wascher bottle will have to move also the the main two rad pipes will bend unless you change them too

Yeah that's pretty much it mate nice drawing lol

I think it should be pretty good, the air route will have less bends and stupid bits than the standard pipe, the only thing I can think of that wont be too good is the flexi air pipe stuff isn't exactly smooth like it would be with a proper aluminium or stainless steel pipe.

But all enclosed filter kits use flexi pipe so it should be alright I guess. Just aslong as the cheapo ebay filter is up to the job, but then again I can always use the cheap one for now and get a more expensive one later, aswell as getting some proper piping.

Cheers B)

Tbh mate im more worried abt your rad it will be closer to the outlet mani therefore experencing higher temps than normal, you would need to drill in to the front beam, relocate the washer bottle...i want to do this more kinks and bends mind but i havnt thought of anything better. but to reverse the argument my pipe will be next to the outlet mani so hot out let mani + metal pipe carrying air = hot air.

220820086872.jpg

Well it turns out I wont be going for cheapy ebay filters anyway B)

Just had a phone call from the last job I worked for, they've asked for me to go back B)

So I think what I'll do is do the same sort of thing, but do it with proper piping, and a good filter

buy a K&N Apollo

Congrats....i had a look at mine today while replacing the pipe for the vacume sensor. i might just channel it towards the ground (near the plastic mud guards) and tie it up with cable ties n stuff, u rekon there will a restrictied air flow? because i really cant be botherd to shift everything about 5inch to the left.

going to look at sparkys as he has it comming out of the right fog light hole in the bumper, but last i remember he removed his washer bottle/battery?

That's pretty much what I'm aiming for kevin, but I think I'm going to keep the bit of rubber pipe that's between the airbox and throttle body so I have somewhere for the air breather and air sensor to go. And also I'm going to move my rad so the filter is actually exposed from the front.

It's good to see other people have done it though, where did you get your pipe from? I've seen loads on ebay, I think I'll just get mine off there.

just trying to help out, yeah its been done before and its pretty nice.

i made a small hole in the 90 degree bend and reconnected the sensor no problems there. pipe is from a local tuner, pretty much everything should do i guess.

the air breather filter has not given me any probs what so ever, no leakage or smells at all, also driven it in hot days etc.

I am also looking into relocating the rad. there is a small opening to the right of the rad where i put a short pipe in to funnel the air to my filter.

yup, drilled a hole and first put in the rubber ring that holds the sensor in the orirginal airbox, after that i stuck the sensor in.

About any real gains, i really couldn't tell you tbh... i have lots of little mods like:

TRD spark plug leads

NGK Iridium Spark PLugs

Corolla Intake Manifold

that kind of stuff all working with eachother and the new filter mod.

In a total the car is a lot faster in throttle respons and up in the revs it doesnt seem to choke like a unmodded 4E-FE would.

The pipe of ebay looks good but it seems kinda expensive tbh..

I know, I added it all up last night and with the total price of the silicone joiners and the different pipes, you might aswell just buy a fucking ready made full kit you aren't saving anything.

Your engine mods are the same as mine then, atm I have NGK plugs, NGK leads, and Corolla intake mani.

Maybe I'll just ask the plumber at work if he can get me some 3 inch PVC pipe, and a long 90 degree bend lol :D

then I'll wrap it in heat reflective tape and job done :D

I know, I added it all up last night and with the total price of the silicone joiners and the different pipes, you might aswell just buy a fucking ready made full kit you aren't saving anything.

Your engine mods are the same as mine then, atm I have NGK plugs, NGK leads, and Corolla intake mani.

Maybe I'll just ask the plumber at work if he can get me some 3 inch PVC pipe, and a long 90 degree bend lol :D

then I'll wrap it in heat reflective tape and job done :D

i can get u all the gear, like PVC pipe, tape, bends etc. :D