What the Clutch to do?

After just a day over a month of Glanza ownership im having clutch issues. Slips sometimes then doesnt, even when its not slipping it doesnt feel like it putting power down like it used to. So im going to replace the clutch. Now there seem to be quite a few options with very different prices so just wondering what would be best? Not going to replace it with another standard one (thats if it currently has a standard one). I dont plan on running mega power so just want something thats better than standard and can easily handle 150 - 160 bhp.

My options ive looked at so far (£300 is max i want to pay as im going to have to pay to get it installed) :

The one on toytuning being the Exedy Organic Clutch kit

Exedy one on ebay

Exedy racing clutch on ebay

Why is the first one on ebay so cheap compared to the rest? Whats best between the racing and the organic one? Is there any others that people would recomend? Also why im i having these issues with the clutch only slipping sometimes?

Any help would be greatly apriciated.

Thanks

David

I've just bought an Exedy Stage 2 Racing Clutch for my 5E N/A David.

I think that the info will be the same for you besides the difference in the torque tolerances and fitment for the FTE motor.

First of all, the organic one is a direct OEM replacement by Exedy, thats why its such a good price.

The Stage 1 Exedy Clutch is an entry level organic Racing clutch and is slightly uprated, usually 30% - 40% or so.

Here is the writeup from their site for the Stage 1 Racing Clutch Kit.

EXEDY organic racing clutches only use premium friction materials that are resistant to slippage and burst. Increased clamp loads give the necessary capacity to handle modified engines. This is the preferred clutch for street and light horsepower track use. Driveability is similar to the stock clutch. Pedal efforts will be slightly higher because of the higher clamp loads. All of our clutch discs have spring center dampers to reduce drivetrain shock.

The Stage 2 Exedy Racing Clutch is also an entry level clutch but the stage 2 is a cerametallic paddle clutch. These can handle a little more load/torque than the stage 1.

Here is their writeup for the Stage 2 Racing Clutch.

EXEDY cerametallic clutches are designed to handle the abuse of high powered modified engines. Our cerametallic friction material can handle much more slippage than stock type disc assemblies without slipping and fading. All cerametallic discs feature spring center dampers to reduce impact and shock loads.

We offer two types of cerametallic discs:

* Normal Thickness (Thick)

* Reduced Thickness (Thin)

Normal thickness discs have greater heat capacity and therefore better durability in demanding applications such as all wheel drive.

Reduced thickness discs offer greatly reduced inertia to improve shift efforts and improve synchro durability. These discs are approximately 1/2 the thickness of a stock disc and are recommended for track use only.

Thats only the 2 stages that Exedy do in this particualr Racing clutch range, after that they do the Hyper single and other high spec racing clutches for the FTE engine but they are more expensive. You can look into them yourself but thats that range of Exedy Clutches in a nutshell as I was torn to which clutch to buy for my modified motor. Exedy seems a pretty reliable brand to me so I went with them, finding a 5E version wasnt too difficult with my ninjistic part finding skills :blink:

Hope this helps David.

Peace

Joz

Sorry didnt really know what say in reply.....still way too confused by it.....has not actually slipped in a while but feels down on power, but then i think is it actually down on power or am i just used to it? Ive also fitted my decat now and im suffering from boost creep so cant push the car too much uptill my actuator arrives. Once ive got all that sorted ill re address the clutch issue and see how i feel abaout it. Its a lot of money wasted if it doesnt actually need doing....thanks for advise though Joz super helpful as always.