Hi guys.. Gonna lower my Starlet a bit but sadly dont have the C Spanner to do it.. Ive WD-40'd the thread and gonna give em a good brushing but my question is what Size C Spanner do i need ? Do i need 2 ?

Thanks in advance. Gonna get it on ebay when i know what i need. Ta

D

P.S. Is it just a matter of winding em down or is there anything else i need to do ? Never had coilovers before so im a noob. :blink:

yup..if you look on the top mounts, there should be a screw with a stud coming up through it...you have to turn the whole coily so the stud goes further up through the nut. There is loads of different coilys and they each have a different way...some are adjustable on the bottom..the bracket where it bolts to the hub can screw up the strut and then its secured with a ring, just how the springs are..if its like that..you wont have to adjust the spring load...you will have 3 rings....2 on the springs one on the bracket at the bottom...if its not like that..you will have 2 rings, only below the springs...and when you adjust them, you will also have to do the spring load aswell.

Thought id email Tein last nite and had a very quick reply which was nice. Although im not sure if its me being thick or wether this isnt really a good description of what to do lol

"Hi Dale

Thanks for your mail.

If your dampers do not have adjustable top mounts, they will not

be SuperStreets.

Please remove a wheel and check for a sticker or a stamp around

the connection to the hub assembly.

This will identify the damper.

The ride height adjustment will affect damping. You will need

the C-Spanners SST01-K0335-B list price GBP18.50 + vat and come

as a pair.

You need to use the 2 together to wind the seat lock and spring

seat apart. This way, the spring seat can move freely. Then you

will need to us both spanners on both the seat and the lock, to

torque them together, which will fix the spring seat position.

On some of the older models, the seats and or locks could crack

or even crumble due to corrosion. Which is an indication of the

units age. These parts can be purchased, but for your own peace

of mind, I would recommend changing to SuperStreets with top

mount.

Nevertheless, this is something that you can discuss with your

dealer, as you will need to order through a Tein dealer to obtain

all the parts discussed in this passage.

A list is available from our website below.

http://www.tein.co.uk/dealer/United_Kingdom.html

Kind regards

Chris Marshall-Dowe

Sales

TEIN UK LIMITED"

Right so ive investigated and ive cocked about with the 1 side and ive cocked it up completely by the seems of things lol.. They Are Tein Type HA. But do not have pillow ball mounts.

Ive WD-40'd the whole thread and cleaned it up then loosened both buttom nuts.. Then wound 1 down (that holds the spring in place) and it seems to have made no difference (maybe even higher) than it was. So i went the opposite way and it is much higher..

Any help would be great.. I think, looking at it that i need to remove the complete unit and then adjust the top down to compensate.. This sound right ?

Thanks guys

EDIT: Ive just spoken to a guy from TEIN and he says that both bottom nuts need to be turned together. Could anyone elaborate on this further.. Sorry for being a complete dumbass :mellow:

After speaking to dave burwash and getting a much clearer picture of what i had to do i finally did it.. Probably to low now but ive had enough for today. C spanners are gonna be here friday so i can do it all properly then.

I see that my coilys are 16 way damper adjustable.. Is it click to the right for harder click left softer ?

what are you finding difficult?

You wind them down with a set of c-spanners, and lock them in place, job done.

people have confused you by mentioning the top mounts with adjustment, this merely gives you the ability you adjust the dampening, not the ride height. ride height is always ONLY adjustable by winding down the collars (be it up or down), anything on the top mount (adjustable screw etc) will only be for changing the rebound of the shocks internally, nothing to do with the height.

wind them all the way up, lock em on, sit the car down, drive it about (so that they can settle, it wont sit properly straight away as it'll always seem so high after removing them, they need a mile or two driving to settle down), then do the same in the other direction, lock them in place, drive about, then compare the right heights, you'll then know which way you have to wind them to raise or lower the ride height :)

Tein HA's 'should' be damper adjustable, its the HR's which are only height adjustable, so yours should have rebound damper adjustment on the top mounts if they are HA's, but this doesn't necessarily mean they have camber adjustable top mounts, as this is something different again. :mellow:

Cheers for that ecks.. 2nd bit of decent info ive had all day about this..

Thanks to u to Cl mate.. I thought it would be right = hard etc.. Its probably the same on all.. What do you have yours set at ? ive heard 12 is a good setting for street.

Bit fudgin late now :mellow: hehe.. nah your more than welcome to come help me do the rear's.. Altho im not messing around with em until i get down to osaka and pick up my tein C spanners.

Looks soo sweet slammed on the front tho.. oof.. :)

After speaking to dave burwash and getting a much clearer picture of what i had to do i finally did it.. Probably to low now but ive had enough for today. C spanners are gonna be here friday so i can do it all properly then.

I see that my coilys are 16 way damper adjustable.. Is it click to the right for harder click left softer ?

Read the thread properly :p hahahaha..

Yea looked much easier so fingers crossed.

Seems my coilys are no longer produced :) Quite entertaining talking to the japanese lady from Tein :mellow: