Idle screw doesnt seem to do anything?

well today i decided to adjust my idle as its idling under 750rpm and it is really lumpy and also vibrates the steering wheel quite badly :) and i want it to idle bang on 750 rpm, so i poped the bonnet up and had no load on the engine ( e.g no lights heater etc on ) i began to turn the screw really steadily at very small increments, but nothin happened, so i turned it quite fast about a quarter of a turn and still nothing??? now i didnt want to turn it any further just incase it caused a problem or suddenly reved its nuts off :p , any ideas? have they got to be turned a large amount before any difference is made? help much appreciated, cheers starlybrusier :mellow:

I'm not sure if the 4efte uses a IDL input off the TPS, but if you tweak the throttle stops and it does, it won't be within spec anymore.

You could crack the throttle open a tiny bit and reset the TPS if you really wanted to do it this way. But idle adjustments should be able to be set with the idle screw.

I've seen other Toyotas have the idle raised this way and without resetting the TPS it causes all sorts of idle and off idle issues.

you screw its anticlockwise to incease the idle mate.

and if you can, dont use the cable stops. use the idle screw, thats what its there for.

fully unwould itll idle at about 2000 rpm so dont worry about it revving its tits off if you do it too much. it wont shoot up.

the timing is mechanical. touching the idle screw wont do anyting.

thats what its there for. if it adversly affected the performance or running of the car. it wouldnt be there.

Yeah true true mate, umm someone else said about dissconnecting the tps while adjusting it?? wont this cause the engine to run ruff? cheers and thanks for being patient with me :mellow: