every turbo has a wastegate, and external one is exactly what it says- it is an externally gated wastegate for that turbo, they are bigger stronger and can hold a larger amount of boost with out opening.

all the dump valve does is vent the excess air that the turbo doesn't need so it doesn't go back into the turbo but people like the noise it creates (chatter) so tend to block it up anyway.

i thinks you are confuzlicated my friend, cars which have a turbo all have a wastegate and its optional to have dump valve to make that noise when you change gear...again only on turbo cars a NA engine cannot have a dmp valve neither a wastegate

Yup can have both + they are no where near each other dump valve sits on top and is attached to a vacume pipe thingy , n as for the waste gate you can have a external or internal?? (im a noob when it comes to turbo lingo) but i think most people go for the external?

The wastegate is what controls the level of boost the turbo generates, if you look at the exhaust side of the turbo theres the exhaust wheel and the hole with the flap over it, that hole is the wastegate of the internal type. The boost is controlled by the actuator holding the wastegate flap closed until a set pressure is reached where the flap is opened so the exhaust gas bypasses the turbine wheel, the actuator then modulates the amount the flap is opened by to control and hold the boost level.

An external type wastegate is generally used when running high boost levels or when more precise control over the boost is required. With these the internal wastegate is welded shut and an external wastegate is piped off from the exhaust manifold with the boost level controlled by a spring in the external wastegate.

A dump valve is used to release the pressure from the intercooler piping when the throttle body is closed and either has a diaphragm or spring which sets the pressure at which it opens or dumps the pressurised air from the pipework.

The dump valve and waste gate aren't connected at all, as standard there is only an internal wastegate. If you don't run with a dump valve the pressurised air will be pushed back out the air filter via the turbo creating the chatter noise. I get a bit of a chatter and a dump with my SARD dump valve.