Blitz Ecus + Stock Boost Solenoid

As the title says, I was wondering about this. I'm thinking of plugging my stock boost controller solenoid back in to help keep the boost stable. I'm using a dawes device which isnt brilliant tbh.

If I do this, will the stock restrictions for boost in 1st and 2nd gear still be in place? Did Blitz/Jam etc not perhaps think to disable this feature on the ecu, or is it controlled externally? I know that there is a boost control wire on the ecu loom, so I presume such a feature could be changed or disabled if Blitz wanted to.

I may just try it myself and see what happens, I just thought I'd ask if anyone knew already!

Cheers,

Alex

As the title says, I was wondering about this. I'm thinking of plugging my stock boost controller solenoid back in to help keep the boost stable. I'm using a dawes device which isnt brilliant tbh.

If I do this, will the stock restrictions for boost in 1st and 2nd gear still be in place? Did Blitz/Jam etc not perhaps think to disable this feature on the ecu, or is it controlled externally? I know that there is a boost control wire on the ecu loom, so I presume such a feature could be changed or disabled if Blitz wanted to.

I may just try it myself and see what happens, I just thought I'd ask if anyone knew already!

Cheers,

Alex

The solonoid itself acts as a bleed valve so the ECU will not make a difference

I understand that how they work, but a simple electronic bleed valve alone cannot know what gear you are in, unless it gets input from the ecu. With this being the case, the ecu settings could be changed, allowing full boost to be run in 1st and 2nd, like the subsequent gears.

All I want to know is, has this been done on ecus such as Jam, Blitz, Sard etc

Damn u alex.. where did u get the ECU from and when u go emanage i want it :lol: ..

As for the boost thing i can see where your coming from... Maybe you could get some other decent boost controller ? Even an electronic 1?

Be much better than an mechanical boost controller i imagine.

Damn u alex.. where did u get the ECU from and when u go emanage i want it :lol: ..

As for the boost thing i can see where your coming from... Maybe you could get some other decent boost controller ? Even an electronic 1?

Be much better than an mechanical boost controller i imagine.

There is no problem with manual spring boost controllers, they do their job fine.. I imagine the dawes device he has isn't working correctly or is a replica etc, the only advantage to EBC is you can set advanced options like boost per gear like what you are saying.. their technique is basically the same.

As for the JAM/Blitz ecu, the one I got from you Pav doesnt and I havnt seen it before on any others

hehe, you gotta be a search warrior my friend, which by the look of your posts in the yahoo auctions, you are! Keep looking and one will come up. You won't believe what I paid for mine considering what they usually go for lol

I hear you about the boost controller, and that is exactly what I plan. But as funds are tight for the next few weeks I'm just looking for a quick fix lol. There are so many good ebcs out there the next problem will be choosing one!

There is no problem with manual spring boost controllers, they do their job fine.. I imagine the dawes device he has isn't working correctly or is a replica etc, the only advantage to EBC is you can set advanced options like boost per gear like what you are saying.. their technique is basically the same.

As for the JAM/Blitz ecu, the one I got from you Pav doesnt and I havnt seen it before on any others

I understand mate, I think mine may be a dud unit. I got it from a local company called FCM motorsport who are the main dealer for Gizzmo EBCs. They sold it to me for a tenner but told me that it came off one of their demo evos and they werent very impressed with it at all. Now they have a Gizzmo on, its much much better and more consistent at reaching and holding boost levels according to them.

I guess if my old Jam one still keeps the restriction, then the Blitz most likely will too :lol:. How is the Jam one treating you mate?

I understand mate, I think mine may be a dud unit. I got it from a local company called FCM motorsport who are the main dealer for Gizzmo EBCs. They sold it to me for a tenner but told me that it came off one of their demo evos and they werent very impressed with it at all. Now they have a Gizzmo on, its much much better and more consistent at reaching and holding boost levels according to them.

I guess if my old Jam one still keeps the restriction, then the Blitz most likely will too :lol: . How is the Jam one treating you mate?

Its fine mate, it didnt make much difference at stock boost, but Im running the ct9 at 1 bar now and it flies a huge difference, going to try a hybrid from tong soon so see how it fares.

To be honest i think the jam is mapped for at least 1 bar ct9, possibly even 1 bar on a hybrid so that might be why you had issues with it

I have a turbosmart boost t and its superb, 5 mins to fit and it holds boost fine with no spikes etc might be worth looking into one, i got mine on ebay second hand.

Good Good, glad to hear it. One question, are you running a front mount intercooler? As soon as I put mine on, it made a massive difference, if I still had my Jam now, it would probably be running sweet by now, but at the time, it wasnt agreeing with my topmount, past 13psi.

I can feel the blitz has plenty more potenial in it, if I were running a forged engine I'd be happy running it at 1.2-1.3 bar but that would be pushing my luck on standard internals!

I looked at the turbosmart ones, thanks for pointing it out, might be a good alternative to an ebc! Just need to find a cheap one I guess

Good Good, glad to hear it. One question, are you running a front mount intercooler? As soon as I put mine on, it made a massive difference, if I still had my Jam now, it would probably be running sweet by now, but at the time, it wasnt agreeing with my topmount, past 13psi.

I can feel the blitz has plenty more potenial in it, if I were running a forged engine I'd be happy running it at 1.2-1.3 bar but that would be pushing my luck on standard internals!

I looked at the turbosmart ones, thanks for pointing it out, might be a good alternative to an ebc! Just need to find a cheap one I guess

Running an ARC top mount mate, its cool all the time at 1 bar so no problems with heat at the moment

Running an ARC top mount mate, its cool all the time at 1 bar so no problems with heat at the moment

Ah I see, those Arcs are very impressive, I dont quite understand why theyre so good. I had an Rx7 topmount and it got ridiculously hot after a run, the core would almost burn your hand! Now its cool as ice on the HDI core.

Yea ebay sell turbosmarts for not alot of cash pav mate.. And i want first refusal on the ECU seeing as tho im owed 1 :lol: hehe.. Are u running a RRFPR ? and does the ECU remove fuelcut ?

What exactly does it do ? just tinker with the A/F Ratio etc ?

Not very clued up on the ECU's.. And what difference is there between the JAM and Blitz ?

I soo want 1 of those puppys :lol:

Yea ebay sell turbosmarts for not alot of cash pav mate.. And i want first refusal on the ECU seeing as tho im owed 1 :lol: hehe.. Are u running a RRFPR ? and does the ECU remove fuelcut ?

What exactly does it do ? just tinker with the A/F Ratio etc ?

Not very clued up on the ECU's.. And what difference is there between the JAM and Blitz ?

I soo want 1 of those puppys :lol:

RRFRP is not needed with the aftermarket ecu's as they can fuel pretty much anything unless over the stock injectors capacity, they basically alter the ignition timing, remove speed cut and fuel cut and raise the limiter.

Jam ECU only made one ECU for 'high street performance and light circuit work' where as the Blitz came in a few different options, blitz ecu's could be mapped for just drag 1/4 spec or for street etc

Ah I see, those Arcs are very impressive, I dont quite understand why theyre so good. I had an Rx7 topmount and it got ridiculously hot after a run, the core would almost burn your hand! Now its cool as ice on the HDI core.

Yeah, my stock one used to be roasting hot after a spirited drive, but I can drive for ages on high boost and the arc is still cool to touch.. expensive for a top mount, but they knew what they were doing when they designed it.

lol, If I decide to sell up, you'll be the first to know matey :lol:. Im not running an Fpr, theres no need for one, some Ecus like Jam for instance advise not to use one with them at all as it can adversely affect they're operation.

As CMR said, they remove the fuel cut limit and will fuel well over 1 bar (as long as the injectors are sufficient), as well as providing advanced ignition timing (which further aids a power increase). The shape of the map itself is more aggressive and responsive to boost, so the fuel economy goes straight out the window under full throttle (like it didnt before! lol). With stock injectors, a Blitz Access or Jam has the ability to run them at a much higher duty cycle (opening and closing more frequently per second, letting more fuel through) than the stock ecu meaning 1-1.1 bar is perfectly achievable. On bigger injectors, much larger turbos can be run such as the TD04 and so on. The Ecu like the stock simply reads the Afr and decides to adjust to acheive its target ratio. The target Air fuel ratio will be different to the stock setup of course with a focus on performance.

In terms of "self learning", they do no more so than a stock ecu. They read multiple signals of info coming from the engine sensors and decide how to proceed. Many people, including me have missinterpreted this as a special feature that only Jam and Blitz offer, this is not the case. However the base map has been changed to increase performance. The luck of the game is finding an Ecu that benefits your mods. I think I hit the jackpot with the Access, as it seems to love my setup! lol

Cheers for the info chaps :lol: much needed.. Im gonna get an ECU as im not looking to go crazy just yet.. just want to get the car running nice n sweet and have the speed there when i need it. Currently ive had to put the hi/lo boost back on so 1st and 2nd is slow as shit :lol:

Hope u get the boost sorted mate.. keep your eyes out for a nice ECU for me :lol:

No problemo, will do mate. I agree too that a performance ecu is a good option for someone who wants to mod progressively, rather than just whack everything on in one go and get it mapped via a piggyback.