hi all.

right ive had the glanza a while now and i love it to pieces but its time for more power under the bonnet i think. so what i was going to ask your colective mind was: what do i need to get a td04 turbo up and running on my glanza ive uaken a look about lodsa sightr and im getting very different views.

do i need a new frout mount intercooler?

do i need a metal head gasket?

do i need new valve springs and valves?

do i need an emange or similar?

do i need forged pistons and rods?

where do i get them?

can i keep my aircon and stock rad?

whats better internal or external wartegate?

i think thatr about what im needing. but if anyone has a better idea of what i should do next please let me know ar im new to the engine side of modifing in this car.

depends what power you want... im going to prove you dont need to forge and spend thousands to make a rapid Starlet, td04 you dont need to forge or get a better headgasket...or emamage

Hybrid at 1.3 bar was very quick on my car

do i need a new frout mount intercooler?NO just a different pipe to mate the turbo to intercooler piping.

do i need a metal head gasket? NO standard h/g will take what standard pistons will take no point in upgrading one element of your engine. just run the td04 @1bar

do i need new valve springs and valves? NO nonsense.

do i need an emange or similar? yes emanage or something that allows adjustment of fuelling, a fuel pressure regulator will crudely do the job, but not for a tidy tune same with bigger injectors but they really are overkill for td04 @1bar.

do i need forged pistons and rods? NO

where do i get them? you dont need them

can i keep my aircon and stock rad? depends what way you go about fitting the td04, for ease of fitment and access to work at a turbo etc or adjust an actuator once the car is up and running id advise to remove the aircon and fit a half size triple core civic rad.

whats better internal or external wartegate? external, but hardly neccessary to hold 1bar on a td04, with internal you will have to rotate the turbo and have a bracket made up for the actuator, with external you will also have to rotate the turbo but weld the waste gate shut. one slight plus side to internal w/g is you can adjust the boost by lengthening or shortening the actuator arm, whereas with external w/g you need a boost controller plumbed in to allow any increase on what spring its running.

hope that helps with some of the info you've been given.:)

Phil

depends what power you want... im going to prove you dont need to forge and spend thousands to make a rapid Starlet, td04 you dont need to forge or get a better headgasket...or emamage

Hybrid at 1.3 bar was very quick on my car

if your drive the car alot on a standard engine above 1bar td04 you will blow something.

some of its in the tune, we know. BUT it can only hold out so long.

hey im not saying there is any reason for this fella to forge, just doubting that you'll prove anything new by running 270 or something mad on a standard engine. its been done and heaps more than that but there is a sad timescale that goes with it, and it isnt terrible long.

Phil

thats good i need to know what's what when it come to this. i was planning on 200 pluss brake but that may be further down the line atm is hybrid and front mount a common goi to before getting the plunge to the tdo4 turbo. is the tdo5 a choice or is it laggy? idealy what im wanting is a power house starlet but like i say im not to shur when it comes to big power mods. i know low to mild mods but im not a whole lotta experiance in this field. im now thinking about going down the hybrid and hdi intercooler as i still havent got my finger out and bought a front mount. i have a fuel pressure regulator sitting in the house aswell. is it just a matter of flinging on the front mount the turbo and turning up the fuel pressure. or am i needing to get it maped and so on and so forth?

why not save the money you'd spend on the hybrid and push the ct9 envolope a bit before moving on>?

that way you can get some time under your belt, while learning about all the options out there!

definitly go frontmount and then take it from there! what all have you got done so far!?

Phil

i dident know that it could be puched very far so i thought if i was going for more power id need go thefull hog.ive allready just cleaned up the internals ive got the port polished head and new guides and pistons put to the head. not even painted it yet.other than that its interior and exterior mods except for hks dumpvalve and induction kit. its only a baby done only 52000 miles. when do you need to upgrade the head garket cause i cant find out when the times right as im getting such a different opinionform people.

i dident know that it could be puched very far so i thought if i was going for more power id need go thefull hog.ive allready just cleaned up the internals ive got the port polished head and new guides and pistons put to the head. not even painted it yet.other than that its interior and exterior mods except for hks dumpvalve and induction kit. its only a baby done only 52000 miles. when do you need to upgrade the head garket cause i cant find out when the times right as im getting such a different opinionform people.

you upgrade the headgasket when you forge or when it blows!

ct9 can be "pushed" to 200bhp.

nomatter what way you you decide to go, start with the simple things, air filter exhaust decat frontmount manifold hks actuator and then maybe some management and more boost :)

then once your decide to go for bigger power you already have 75% of the necessary parts, and whatever you dont need can be sold the fund the bigger and better setup :)

Phil

cool mate sounds good think im gonna go down the hybrid route the now but as im going with that do other things like forgeing the engine so if i choose to go for the td04 (or somthing else its already done and it saves any possible accident like the rods going throught the piston or somthing.