Take a look at my RR Afrs

Hey guys,

I recently sold my Blitz ecu so was back to standard management. This was with a view to getting an emanage as a replacement, which soon went out the window as I spent £700 on a clutch, new synchros, flywheel etc and £300 some new wheels :surrender:

More recently, I fitted an Fse regulator and gauge plus a Greddy fcd and took the car to the rollers to be setup. I got them both for free so I thought why not give them a try and see what power my car can make with that setup.

It made 178 bhp and 194 ft/lbs at slightly over 1 bar of boost. What concerns me is the regulator was set to 2.5 bar (only very slightly over stock fuel pressure), and my tuner seemed to think the resulting map was safe.

I was much inclined to disagree with this after reading that the target afrs should be around 11.8 to be safe.

Anyway here is my rr printout. As you can see the general afr line drops steadily but seems to be two high overall, plus there are too nasty lean spots which is why I turned the boost down. I would like views from people who have decent experience and actually know what theyre talking about, rather than speculation, dont mean to sound like a jerk, I just see too much advice being dished out on forums without experience or thought.

RRwithFCDandREG.jpg

I've been told that 1 bar can be safely fueled with an fcd and regulator alone, can someone please confirm this and if so offer any advice on what I should do next week when I go back on the rollers to set it up properly. Im thinking try more like 3 bar of fuel pressure and go from there as I've read this is often a good pressure to run 1 bar with, but each car is different. Any help would be much appreciated. :drunk2:

Many thanks,

Pav

You can run safely at 1 bar and a regulator easily. Look at Dub Se7ens build and it is the only thing he has used. He obviously has it set up properly on a rolling road but properly setup it is fine. That is what im getting setup for as well. 3 bar of fuel pressure is what i have been advised to use as well.

Bourkey

i was thinking more 3.4-5 bar or 14.5 psi but try 3bar and see how it fuels you might find thats fine :surrender:

mines going on a RR tommorow to set up my timing and hybrid turbo and check the afr's but i am running under fuel cut still

180 is a good result, i thought you had a safc or am i just imagining things? or is it just your ebc?

Cheers for the info people, I thought I was missing something. I swear I read about running approx 3bar for 1bar boost before too.

Glanzacl - I have an Avcr mate :surrender: Apart from that, stock ecu. I was pretty impressed with the result considering, but I defo agree that more fueling is needed.

Good luck with the RR tomorrow, how will they check your timing? I need to get mine checked too now you mention it.

well mine is well out since the head was off... like so out i have no power and don't have full boost till 5krevs lol, the idle is horrible lol

i guess he will have a timing gun, and if the timing is out (which it is) the cams will have to come out and put back in correctly again :surrender:

it will be on the RR to check for det and any lean spots in fueling or and sudden peaks once it's all sorted

Hello dude,

Well i tune cars for a living, so here goes.......

You ran the car on a dyno dynamics dyno right?

In general terms, yes the afr is a little on the lean side. I've seen starlets/glazas before running stock with an afr of 12, but thats at 0.6 bar.

At a bar of boost i would be much more comfortable with an afr of 11.5 or so. This will give a lot more saftey in the tune and wont sacrifice that much power.

The 15 afr at the start is toooo lean though, for sure.

Unless i am mistaken, your stock base fuel pressure (pressure with the vac line not connected to the reg) should be 3 bar. If you turn it up or down, you will affect all load cells in the map, not just WOT, meaning your car will over/under fuel accordingly. To an extent the stock ecu will learn this out with the fuel trims for all loads in the closed loop area, but if your O2 sensor is a dud, or if you go way over on pressure, then it wont be bale to do so.

So basically, yeah, you do need more fuel on that car IMO.

On the plus side i do not see a sharp drop off in the power curve that would indicate any timing pull. As the ecu repsonds to det, it will drag out timing very fast, resulting in a large and sudden drop off of power. I dont see that. Thats not a 100% guarantee, its just something i might expect to see if its knocking, and i dont see it.

Cheers,

Ben.

Thanks for the info mate, very helpful. My tuner views somewhat tally with what you said, but yes there are some lean spots in the mid range for definate.

The stock fuel pressure is 2.4 bar. I was running 2.5 at the time so not much over stock at all. I have just got back from the rollers with graphs to compare this run with my current one, only using 3 bar of fuel pressure instead.

Below: Red Line, bhp and afr on 2.5 bar fuel pressure. Green line, tonights run using 3 bar fuel pressure. Note the drop of 12 bhp.

DSC01103.jpg

Next graph shows a run using 2.8 bar fuel pressure. Closer to the power on 2.5 but not as lean. Still higher than some would run. I feel I should run 3 bar untill I get some management. Will running an emanage really help big time? I had my eye on 200 bhp with management, but it looks quite a way off from my current power levels. My torque is always healthy though. On this run it was 187 ft/lbs

Note the lean peak on this run, could this be to do with my injectors maxing out under boost peak possibly? I'll email them and get some graphs including boost maps too, the lean spot is located right where the boost comes in at 1.18, then drops quickly to 1 bar.

DSC01106.jpg

Cheers