FAO All Members: New Rules In Classifieds

To ALL members

It's time for UKSC to take a step in the right direction and start becoming strict with the Classifieds section.

Recently there have been a few reports of deals that haven't really "gone to plan" so to speak and we hope that by enforcing these rules that sales transactions will run smoother.

You all may have recently noticed that we have now added the 'For Sale Template' which looks like this:

[b]For sale:[/b]

[b]Item Condition:[/b]

[b]Price and price conditions:[/b]

[b]Extra Info: [/b]

[b]Pictures:[/b]

[b]Contact Details:[/b]

[b]Location:[/b]

[b]Delivery & Conditions of Delivery:[/b]

We require ALL fields in this to be properly filled out to reduce the chances of anything potentially going wrong for any members and to make the UKSC trading community as safe as possible. A price MUST be added and any form of bidding will NOT be tolerated.

When pictures are posted we require pictures of the ACTUAL item that you have, no excuses as everyone has access to a camera these days. The reason we ask for the picture of the actual item is that things may be visible on the photo that the seller may not realise that the potential buyer may be able to spot. Please be as honest as possible in your item descriptions.

Sellers please make the effort to include all of this information because not only will it boost your chances of a sale, it gives the buyer a much better peace of mind and make them feel a lot more confident about what they're buying.

If these rules are not adhered to then appropriate action will be taken. Any abuse or threats from sellers to buyers will NOT be tolerated on this site. If this has happened to you please get in contact with an active member of the moderating team and it will be dealt with confidentially.

We hope you are all enjoying the nice weather and keeping your Starlets (And others!) looking immaculate. The team will be keeping an eye on all trading activities to ensure the UKSC trading environment is a safer and pleasant one.

Thanks,

Bill (UKSC Team)

Hi, thanks for the reminder.

I hope that the use of a linked web site such as photobucket for the pictures is accepted because, as in the case of my recent lists there are lots of pictures which I think are more easily accessed, and will not use up pages on the Uk Starlet site.

One of my other concerns which you have not mentioned is to do with buyers, who, after aggreeing the purcase price, then fail to notify the seller once they have received all the postage cost info. In some cases where worldwide enquiries are made, much time and effort is put into obtaining accurate costings and at the same time other potential owners are put off because the seller thinks they have completed the sale.

Put this all down to experience I know but, I just want to reiterate that it costs nothing for the common courtesy of telling the seller that they do not want it after all................To ignore messages is far worse than saying it as it is.

I for one am not looking to make a profit from my activities. I am not a trader, but want to pass on useable parts to those people who need them to keep or improve their cars. I would rather give the stuff away that have to take it to the tip.

Cheers. Rossgorooster/ Bob.

Hi Bob

Thanks for your response to our announcement on trading within UKSC.

In response to your post it is certainly fine to use photobucket or any other reliable hosting site to host photos of items for sale on the forum.

It is a common method used on the site now by members selling and it also helps by not using the sites bandwidth as you have mentioned.

I can understand that you have had some difficulties in the past with buyers. Lately we have been more protective over buyers because there have been increasing problems with sellers selling items not as described or general abuse as a result of a misunderstanding.

However we also want to notify all buyers to be please be courteous and honest when negotiating a transaction with a seller. If the item does not suit you or the postage costs are beyond your expectations please be honest and decline the deal. Simply ignoring the seller will cause problems for them, communication is the key. It is up to you to find out all possible information from the seller especially the condition and appearance of the item. Sellers should also be as honest as possible in their description.

We appreciate members such as yourself on the site Bob, the fact you are willing to sell parts at reasonable prices to members that may need them is very considerate and admirable.

Thanks for your concern.

If there are any suggestions or system that you or other members feel could greatly improve trading on UKSC please don’t hesitate to let us know. We will try to be as vigilant as possible in the case of any future problems however it is the sole responsibilty of the buyer and the seller to ensure a smooth transaction. The template has been introduced in the best interest of both parties so please can everyone use it even if you are selling on behalf of a friend.

All I can say is that please all traders, sellers and buyers to be more professional and trustworthy in your dealings with each other so that the UKSC trading experience is as pleasant and professional as possible.

Joz - UKSC Team

I think its a really good idea to get a basic template so there can be no messing around and again with displaying pictures of the actual item, it is without a doubt a step in the right direction.

I again have had problems with buyers on numerous occasions. People that have asked about parts arranged to come and collect - in some cases i have given my postcode to these people as i thought i could trust them - then they have never turned up, not responded to emails nor bothered to call me and apologise. Others have not read an advert properly and i have gone to the time of messing about getting postage costs etc then they have decided they don't want them.

This website has been an incredible help to me and i appreciate all the advice and guidance you can be given. It's a shame a small minority have to let the community down by being dishonest and plain rude. It's simple if you can't afford an item or don't really want it don't waste peoples time, it just puts people off selling items and one day you might need an item someone has...

Thanks for the feedback guys.

You will always get the minority Minxy, that seems to be how life works sadly. We are doing our best to work at reducing the chances of these things happening.

We feel this is the best way of going about doing this, perhaps it would be a good idea for sellers to ask buyers for a small deposit. Even if it's £5 or so for an item worth £100, it will still make you feel less hard done by if a buyer decides not to turn up any more, and maybe an incentive for them to pay up.

If anyone has any suggestions on further ways we can improve on this, please feel more than free to drop myself or Joz a PM, either of us would be more than happy to listen to opinions.

Thanks guys,

Bill