Hi There, Just Bought A Glanza V

Hello everyone, I just bought a 1996 Glanza V auto last Friday. Bought it on a bit of a whim as it seemed quite cheap & only done 48k kilometers + 4k miles (34,000mls total if my reckoning is right). I took it for a short spin but it was a bit sluggish I thought, definately not a 0-60 in 7 second machine. Anyway Googled Glanza & found this website, joined up & found the mod to bypass the turbo solenoid. Well, 30 seconds with a pair of pliers & it was transformed, well pleased with it now, came back chuckling away to myself, great fun. :D

I mainly bought it to play with as my Skyline R33 GTR has been off the road since xmas for some upgrading & things havn't gone to plan, do they ever?

I'm now quite taken with this little car & may keep it for a while & do a few mods ( the cheaper the better as the GTR is taking up a lot of funds!!)

Well that's the story so far, I'm sure you're bored by now ;) so I'll stop rambling.

Cheers

Phil

hi,

auto glanzas make great dailys ive ran two.. the only thing is if your covering loads of miles they can be a bit sore on fual,

to increase consumption just free the restrictions in the exhaust, mani and intake.

that way your not in posetive booost unitl 85+ where as its hard to cruse at 65 without making any of the lights come on as it stands right now.

would be nice to see some pics of your liner

welcome to uksc ;)

hi,

auto glanzas make great dailys ive ran two.. the only thing is if your covering loads of miles they can be a bit sore on fual,

to increase consumption just free the restrictions in the exhaust, mani and intake.

that way your not in posetive booost unitl 85+ where as its hard to cruse at 65 without making any of the lights come on as it stands right now.

would be nice to see some pics of your liner

welcome to uksc ;)

Thanks Enzo, the Skyline only does 23mpg at best on a run so I'm sure the Glanza will be an improvement! It came with an air filter fitted (make unknown) & the rear silencer has been changed to a stainless one (again make unknown) but a bill from Hi-Q for £336 was with the paperwork for it!

I think remove the CAT & pull out the innards is possibly the next move as this will cost nothing!!!

Pics of the liner, I'll have to work out how to post them, it's fairly standard in silver (same as Glanza) though I have just fitted a Nismo front bumper to it.

Phil

Hi I have a glanza v auto to love it mine has only done 46k kilometers had mine a year now not had one fault with it. i have thought aboat to bypass the turbo solenoid to does it harm the engine in the long run?

Mel

@Phil,there is a usefull guide on how to post pictures here;)

@ Mel it will not do any harm at all to the engine. with glanzas there is a boost restriction in first and second which limits boost to .6 low.

the reason for this was mainly down to the wintery conditions in japan not needed over here, the lightweight p-sports edition did not have the solenoid.

removing it will not cause any harm to your engine, they can take alot more boost then that. but it has been known to make a few lightly modded eps hit fual cut.

if you dont bypass the solenoid your missing out on the best free mod for the glanza, do it and go for a blast! its like a totaly different car.

Hi I have a glanza v auto to love it mine has only done 46k kilometers had mine a year now not had one fault with it. i have thought aboat to bypass the turbo solenoid to does it harm the engine in the long run?

Mel

Hi Mel, I'm new to Glanzas but I don't think it will harm the engine at all as it is only putting out the same power as in higher gears. The thing it will do is put a lot more strain on the gearbox, but what the hell, when the wheels start spinning it relieves some of the strain?! I don't think you'll regret, just try it, I bet you don't change it back again! ;)

P.S. Some a***holes just tried to nick my skyline, fortunately no damage, no cylinder head on the engine so if they got it going they deserve to have it!

@Phil,there is a usefull guide on how to post pictures here ;)

@ Mel it will not do any harm at all to the engine. with glanzas there is a boost restriction in first and second which limits boost to .6 low.

the reason for this was mainly down to the wintery conditions in japan not needed over here, the lightweight p-sports edition did not have the solenoid.

removing it will not cause any harm to your engine, they can take alot more boost then that. but it has been known to make a few lightly modded eps hit fual cut.

if you dont bypass the solenoid your missing out on the best free mod for the glanza, do it and go for a blast! its like a totaly different car.

Hi Enzo i have just bypassed the solenoid.is it best to have it in

Both buttons off : Normal mode.

MANU button on

PWR button : Sports mode

Whats best?

if your kaining it its best to keep the power button on that way it holds the gears to the redline if not just keep both buttons off.

how are you finding it??

ok thanks going out in it later will c best fill the tank up lol ;)

Well I managed to remove the CAT innards this evening, took about an hour or so & had to break it up to get it out!

Here are some pics of my Skyline (hopefully), sorry not taken any of the Glanza yet. I'll post some as soon as I can.

DSC00086.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

DSC00055-1.jpg

IMG_2446A.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

These were all taken before the front bumper was changed & some other slight mods.

a 12 and half second quater mile is nice and insane, luvly motor. must be a fortune to run though?

bypass the turbo solenoid. Well thats the best mod i have ever done lol and costs nothing glanza v auto seems to be alive now ;)

let me know how the glanza runs with the CAT mod lol i like free mods

Mel

glad your liking the extra boost

if you have a dremel

porting the waistgate by a couple of mms will solve any future boost creep issues when you start freeing the restictions

porting the manifold of the restriction in runner number 3 will also give you a nice dolop of torque

and gutting the cat by smashing the inards out are all very effective free mods

they all amount to increase mpg and better torque. get a decent quality manual boost controller banged up to 12psi and you should have a nice extra bit of power with all those mods combined. this guide might help mel if you havent read it already clicky

Hello again Skyline R33 GTR looks mint thats nice to c one that does not look spoilt.

let me know how the glanza runs with the CAT mod lol i like free mods

Mel

I've not been able to try it out since removing the CAT as I put a Forte engine flush in the oil to do an oil & filter change then found some idiot had returned the filter I received yesterday, so can't use any power until the oil is changed, it gets very very thin!

I doubt it will make anything like as big a difference as the little pipe mod, still every little hepls.

Hopefully my Cosworth head gasket will arrive tomorrow for the liner so I'll be busy putting it back together (for the fourth time!!! ) & hoping this time the gasket doesn't leak ;) or I'll be getting seriously :D

the liner is nice u got ne pics of the starlet??

Still not taken any pics of the Starlet, it's just standard with some glass tints as far as I know, try & get some pics this weekend.

Removing the CAT didn't make any noticable difference I have to say.

Next mod ?

I think the next mod is to increase the boost to 1 bar. What is the best way of doing it? It was easy on the Skyline, you just remove a restrictor in one of the pipes & it goes fro 0.7 bar to 1.0 bar.

As I understand it on the Glanza you can replace the wastegate actuator with a stronger one (HKS for example) or fit & plumb in a boost controller. Electronic ones read the boost & control it via a solenoid, but a manual one needs adjusting with a boost gauge, am I right? Which is the best (cheapest) way to go?

Cheers

Phil

yea, unfortunatly the ecu has a preprogramed fual cut at 12 ish psi, you will need to sort out the fualing if you want to get to a bar

next mod would be to remove the restriction in mani number three if you have a dremel.

fucku0-p029.jpg

you will want to remove this restriction or replace the manifold before running a bar anyway as this can heat up piston number three

have you checked out the wiki tutorials section yet at the top of the page?

yea, unfortunatly the ecu has a preprogramed fual cut at 12 ish psi, you will need to sort out the fualing if you want to get to a bar

next mod would be to remove the restriction in mani number three if you have a dremel.

fucku0-p029.jpg

you will want to remove this restriction or replace the manifold before running a bar anyway as this can heat up piston number three

have you checked out the wiki tutorials section yet at the top of the page?

Wow Enzo you're quick to reply, put me tea in the oven & there you are !

Yes I did skimp through the tutorial but didn't take it in.

So exhaust manifold looks like the next thing to do. I do have a dremel, but this looks like a few hours work to me! Remove manifold (two of those nuts look a t**t to get to), grind away restriction , replace manifold, possible new gaskets, oh dear what am I getting myself into :thumbsup:

There was me thinking I could just tweak up the boost & away you go!

Anyone want to buy a Glanza !!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally took some piccies so here they are:-

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

and the two together with the skyline sporting its Nismo bumper:-

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

and here's a little mouse I rescued from my 3 cats, thought I'd feed him up before setting him free :lol:

IMG_2720.jpg

Cute eh!

• 4 weeks later...

AT LAST the Glanza is taxed & I can have a play in it again, been off the road for a month! Just need to put back the drivers door mirror, it needed a respray. :lol:

AND the skyline is back together & had a remap. It is noticably quicker than before, I would guestimate about 500bhp Niiiiiiice :thumbsup: