Bit of a long story but after much looking we found a car that sounded reasonable for my mate and the ebay listing was running out that night. Course we had to view the car so we shot up there (just over an hour drive) to have a look at it. Was dark by the time we got there, but I had a good look round and it all seemed really good, immaculate really (well, close). We then won the item on ebay and today went up there to get it, thatâ??s when everything went wrong.

I'll list the rest; it'll be easier to read. In chronological order...

1. When we first viewed the car he said he had a solid buyer at £1390, 'if you bid 1400, youâ??ll get it.' he said. Bit weird that this bidder couldn't push a tenner. But it was obvious he wanted £1400 so fairplay.
  2. After bidding £1400, we won. So went to view the car in the day. He came round his street corner with his mate in a van as soon as we parked up, bang on time.
  3. Got the car out of the garage and immediately closed the door, as soon as possible.
  4. Bit of oil on the shelf where the bonnet catch is, seemed a bit too fresh. After inspection a lot more was above the manifold on the bonnet closer to the side with the turbo on. All the engine bay felt oily, but as if had been recently wiped 'clean' (still slimey).
  5. Okay, I was a bit iffy, he said the previous night he was a pretty reasonable mechanic. Then he said he had no idea what it was from and I would know more (I don't know much really).
  6. Paperwork. Having a quick browse through, as you do. I find a hand written receipt for and I quote, 'GT Starlet - £900 *registration number* - EP82-*chassis number* - signature'. He wanted £1400 right? Why the hike, why did he say he bought it for £3000, that he got a bit ripped off. He very quickly said that it was for an engine; he then grabbed it off me and said he'd keep it. He never mentioned an engine change until then.
  7. On the paperwork note again, a proper garage receipt with proper print, said there were two faulty wires with the electric windows (or something of the sort). Erm, it has windy windows.

Needless to say, I politely told him to get stuffed as I had no idea what it was, mileage and all. I couldn't have my mate (clueless on cars) buy it.

Whats your thoughts on this? Happened to you? Any advice? Real shame as it looked really good... Here's the advert. http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/977095.htm

Cheers for your help guys,

Mike

Its a real shame that theres people like that on the net ^_^

Look at it this way spend £1400 on something you dont really know whats happened to it... or get a bit of negative feedback on ebay! i know which id take !!

Im glad you have named and shamed tbh! i was looking at this myself, and debated the 5 hour drive for 1400 motor.

Its a real shame that theres people like that on the net ^_^

Look at it this way spend £1400 on something you dont really know whats happened to it... or get a bit of negative feedback on ebay! i know which id take !!

Im glad you have named and shamed tbh! i was looking at this myself, and debated the 5 hour drive for 1400 motor.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the feedback. We think the turbos blown a seal or maybe a pipe. But aside from that, still not worth it.

Now my mates stuck back looking for another car. It's a tad annoying.