Thinking About Doing An Engine Change, Need Advice!

I think the heads are the same for the 4EFE,4EFTE and 5E.....just the bottom end is different as with the cams

also that link says you need to provide an exchange unit....if you going to rebuild it etc i`d search for a oil burner instead and that way you can get the ancillaries too.

EDIT: i remember bourkey saying theres a paseo in the scrappy at bury....why not just get that engine?

I think the heads are the same for the 4EFE,4EFTE and 5E.....just the bottom end is different as with the cams

also that link says you need to provide an exchange unit....if you going to rebuild it etc i`d search for a oil burner instead and that way you can get the ancillaries too.

EDIT: i remember bourkey saying theres a paseo in the scrappy at bury....why not just get that engine?

oh yeah there is! hmmmmmmmmmmm now how would i transport it home....... ah well ill think about it.

myt get that one from the scrappy and get it rebuilt, forged and ported?

hello markoos id give dave a ring and see how much he does exchange for one? you will only need the bottom end and 1.5 bottom end on a hybrid will be hardly any lag id use the ct12 hybrid :thumbsup:

cheers for the advise dean mate.

u gave daves number? what is a ct12 from then?

so u wud say get the bottom end of a 1.5 and get it fitted? what else would need to be done?

dave burwashes number is..... 07921256993, for the 4efte bottom ends fully forged with some other bits on his website it says £1850 exchange. but yo would need to ask him bout the 5e, let us know how you get on as i wanna run the 5e in the future! als i know about the ct12 hybrid is enzo was seling 1 and may be making more i herd its slightly bigger that the ct9 so will have little lag difference and im pretty sure enzo was using the td04 compressor wheel so should get more power, would be similar to dub7s setup? :thumbsup:

dave burwashes number is..... 07921256993, for the 4efte bottom ends fully forged with some other bits on his website it says £1850 exchange. but yo would need to ask him bout the 5e, let us know how you get on as i wanna run the 5e in the future! als i know about the ct12 hybrid is enzo was seling 1 and may be making more i herd its slightly bigger that the ct9 so will have little lag difference and im pretty sure enzo was using the td04 compressor wheel so should get more power, would be similar to dub7s setup? :thumbsup:

since you mentioned about the ct12 i didnt think it was designed for performance so how do you think it would cope running over 1 bar? would be interesting to see how it handled itself

Guest dominodon

Now this is probably the last time I will do this�..as it has been covered to death before��..also see http://hardcore.ep91.com/index_main.html

He has a very good write up on it

Also see http://www.bajanchameleon.com/5efhe_project.html (make sure u go to the bottom of each page and click the link to the following page)

For an OEM 5efte CT9 buildâ?¦â?¦hereâ??s the spoon feeding list for allâ?¦â?¦â?¦

- 4efte rocket cover

- 4efte or 5efhe/fe headâ?¦with either 4efte or 5efhe cams (MARGINALLY better)â?¦..make sure u keep the shims with whatever cams u useâ?¦or reshimming may be necessary

- 4efte head gasketâ?¦5efhe or trd head gaskets are also used (but trd raise compression somewhat)

- 4efte intake manifoldâ?¦5efhe ACIS can be use, but usually requires something to operate it properly

- 5e block

- 4efte pistons or some people shave the 5e pistons (TRIED and PROVEN by MANY),,,in fact some people shave the 4efte pistons��but then a lot of u guys are afraid to do this,,,,,,,,so stick to the oem 4efte ones then

- 4efte piston rings, if u use 4efte pistons���..5e pistons rings if u use 5e psitons���there is a difference in part numbers,,,,,,,,,but people have been know to use any set with any pistons and they work fine

- 5e rodsâ?¦5efhe preferred for bigger boost,,,,,,,,5efe rods can be used if u donâ??t plan to over do it

- 4e/5e cam gear/wheel...set timing using 5e mark.........and set base timing at 10 degrees.........or as desired, as some may want to retard base timing depending on set up and gas quality

- 4efte injectors at MINIMUM

- 4e/5e oem fuel pressure regualtor or aftermarket unit...run anywhere from 2.3 to 3 bar on initial set up,,,BUT depends again on your set up......tune to suit

- 4e/5e fuel rail

- 5e idler and tensioner pulleys

- 4e/5e crank gear

- 5e tming belt

- 4efte ecu, harness and map sensor at minimum.....the greddy ultimate on the 5e ecu or 4efte ecu is also great for fine tuning...

- 5e crankâ?¦..some prefer 5efhe crank (stamped â??5eâ?ÂÂ) on itâ?¦â?¦while others use the â??3eâ? marked crank which comes in some 5e blocks

- 5e thrust washers

- 5e flywheel (200mm)��or redrilled 4efte flywheel (212mm), again, has been done several times, just make sure you have a competent machinist���OR try to get the 5e bolt pattern flywheel that holds the 212mm clutch set up (usually found on some 3E engines)

- 5e clutch and 5e pressure plate OR 4efte clutch and 4efte pressure plateâ?¦.NOT to be mixed and matched

- 5e/4e oil pumpâ?¦â?¦â?¦.make sure u get the one that matches what is thereâ?¦â?¦â?¦as far as Iâ??m aware they are two types

- 4e or 5e oil relief valve

- 4efte oil pick up and 4efte sump�OR 5e oil pick up and 5e sump�.to be used together and not in combinations���i.e. choose one and use both units together�..note,,,u wouldhave to drill and tap the 5e sump for the oil return

- 5e connecting bearingsâ?¦make sure u get the correct sizes---check the back of the used one

- 5e main bearings ---- make sure u get the correct sizes---check the block and crank and do some adding of the numbers or check the back of the used one

- 4efte exhaust manifoldâ?¦BEWARE a custom unit is preferred as the oem unit is VERY restrictive on the 5e

- 1 ct9 turbo and downpipe with all gaskets ---IF u are going to use the ct9 turbo for a short while��also, your muffler may need a slight extension as the 5e block is about 15mm taller�..else use whatever set up (turbo) u plan to run along with supporting exhaust manifold and downpipe

- 4e/5e water pump and hoses

- 4efte thermostat, housing and sensors

- 4e/5e gearbox/transmission

- 4efte distributor or 5efhe distributorâ?¦..same basic unit

- 4efte plug wires

- 5e timing covers

- 5e oil/dip stick and housing

- 4efte TMIC----NOT the best idea,,,but would work for ct9 set upâ?¦..if u already have a FMIC set up,,,use it back

- 1 gallon oil

- 1 pouch of sealant

- 1 oil filterâ?¦4e/5eâ?¦same thing

- 1 gallon coolant

- 4 spark plugs

- 1 cam shaft seal

- 1 crank shaft seal (front)

- 1 crank shaft seal (rear)

- 2 turbo water lines if required---depends on turbo unit use

- 1 oil line

- 1 oil return line

- all rubber gaskets

- all other asscessories from 4efteâ?¦.a/c, p/s, alternator, etc

install,,,,run in��..and maybe get tuned if you are smart

areas to be cautious of:

- power steering pump....u may need to custom make a bracket or just use the adjuster piece to hold it in place

Now this is probably the last time I will do this�..as it has been covered to death before��..also see http://hardcore.ep91.com/index_main.html

He has a very good write up on it

Also see http://www.bajanchameleon.com/5efhe_project.html (make sure u go to the bottom of each page and click the link to the following page)

For an OEM 5efte CT9 build��here's the spoon feeding list for all���

- 4efte rocket cover

- 4efte or 5efhe/fe headâ?¦with either 4efte or 5efhe cams (MARGINALLY better)â?¦..make sure u keep the shims with whatever cams u useâ?¦or reshimming may be necessary

- 4efte head gasketâ?¦5efhe or trd head gaskets are also used (but trd raise compression somewhat)

- 4efte intake manifoldâ?¦5efhe ACIS can be use, but usually requires something to operate it properly

- 5e block

- 4efte pistons or some people shave the 5e pistons (TRIED and PROVEN by MANY),,,in fact some people shave the 4efte pistons��but then a lot of u guys are afraid to do this,,,,,,,,so stick to the oem 4efte ones then

- 4efte piston rings, if u use 4efte pistons���..5e pistons rings if u use 5e psitons���there is a difference in part numbers,,,,,,,,,but people have been know to use any set with any pistons and they work fine

- 5e rodsâ?¦5efhe preferred for bigger boost,,,,,,,,5efe rods can be used if u don't plan to over do it

- 4e/5e cam gear/wheel...set timing using 5e mark.........and set base timing at 10 degrees.........or as desired, as some may want to retard base timing depending on set up and gas quality

- 4efte injectors at MINIMUM

- 4e/5e oem fuel pressure regualtor or aftermarket unit...run anywhere from 2.3 to 3 bar on initial set up,,,BUT depends again on your set up......tune to suit

- 4e/5e fuel rail

- 5e idler and tensioner pulleys

- 4e/5e crank gear

- 5e tming belt

- 4efte ecu, harness and map sensor at minimum.....the greddy ultimate on the 5e ecu or 4efte ecu is also great for fine tuning...

- 5e crank�..some prefer 5efhe crank (stamped "5e") on it��while others use the "3e" marked crank which comes in some 5e blocks

- 5e thrust washers

- 5e flywheel (200mm)��or redrilled 4efte flywheel (212mm), again, has been done several times, just make sure you have a competent machinist���OR try to get the 5e bolt pattern flywheel that holds the 212mm clutch set up (usually found on some 3E engines)

- 5e clutch and 5e pressure plate OR 4efte clutch and 4efte pressure plateâ?¦.NOT to be mixed and matched

- 5e/4e oil pump���.make sure u get the one that matches what is there���as far as I'm aware they are two types

- 4e or 5e oil relief valve

- 4efte oil pick up and 4efte sump�OR 5e oil pick up and 5e sump�.to be used together and not in combinations���i.e. choose one and use both units together�..note,,,u wouldhave to drill and tap the 5e sump for the oil return

- 5e connecting bearingsâ?¦make sure u get the correct sizes---check the back of the used one

- 5e main bearings ---- make sure u get the correct sizes---check the block and crank and do some adding of the numbers or check the back of the used one

- 4efte exhaust manifoldâ?¦BEWARE a custom unit is preferred as the oem unit is VERY restrictive on the 5e

- 1 ct9 turbo and downpipe with all gaskets ---IF u are going to use the ct9 turbo for a short while��also, your muffler may need a slight extension as the 5e block is about 15mm taller�..else use whatever set up (turbo) u plan to run along with supporting exhaust manifold and downpipe

- 4e/5e water pump and hoses

- 4efte thermostat, housing and sensors

- 4e/5e gearbox/transmission

- 4efte distributor or 5efhe distributorâ?¦..same basic unit

- 4efte plug wires

- 5e timing covers

- 5e oil/dip stick and housing

- 4efte TMIC----NOT the best idea,,,but would work for ct9 set upâ?¦..if u already have a FMIC set up,,,use it back

- 1 gallon oil

- 1 pouch of sealant

- 1 oil filterâ?¦4e/5eâ?¦same thing

- 1 gallon coolant

- 4 spark plugs

- 1 cam shaft seal

- 1 crank shaft seal (front)

- 1 crank shaft seal (rear)

- 2 turbo water lines if required---depends on turbo unit use

- 1 oil line

- 1 oil return line

- all rubber gaskets

- all other asscessories from 4efteâ?¦.a/c, p/s, alternator, etc

install,,,,run in��..and maybe get tuned if you are smart

areas to be cautious of:

- power steering pump....u may need to custom make a bracket or just use the adjuster piece to hold it in place

wow quite a reply! thanks mate.

im still learning so some of that makes not alot of sense but i will learn and appreciate your help boss!

• 2 weeks later...

im doing my own 5e build at the mo, what i done is buy a mot failured paseo and broke it for parts but kept all the engine, flywheel and gearbox for the built.. im at the stage now where im just cleaning everything up and porting it all ready to stick back together...

The small list is

5e bottom end, crank and conrods

4e pistons

4e head, i used 5e cams as there a bit better

4e oil pan

4e gearbox, im having the 4e flywheel machined to fit the 5e crank

4e water hosing and thermostat

the power steering, alternator, oil pump ect from either

swop the sensors over from the 4e block to 5e block

thats pretty much it bud :surrender:

thanks for the info and help guys!

one more question though, my shite manifold that i bought now has a massive crap down it and it feels like im driving a corsa B lol

im getting a new manifold and have my eye on the CT9 from killamats externally gated ram style mild steel manifold but unsure what differences an externally gated manifold will make to my car rather than a normal one?

Thanks!

the question is, do you intend on staying with a CT based turbo? if not, then it's a waste of money. if you are then it's worth it because you'll have rock steady boost control.

alternativly, if you are running standard boost at the min, why not put your standard mani on for the time being?

Thanks for the advise mate.

im looking to go hybrid at some point so i guess this would be a good move.

why wouldnt this be able to be used with a different turbo such as TD04?

will be upping the boost when i get a fpr and fcd matey :surrender:

Cheers again

TD04 and CT9 use a different flange so you'd need to have the manifold modded if you wanted to re-use it, that could also lead to difficulty getting a decat to suit as the turbo may well be in a different position.

easier to get the manifold that was designed for the turbo :unsure:

if your mani is blowing like fuck i'd swap it out for the standard until you are ready to run higher boost. it's not a hard job :surrender:

My main concern is which ill provide the best performance because id like a hybrid ct9 but unsure hether this would disappoint?

dont have the standard manifold anymore so not really an option lol

I knew that mani would fall apart. It was so brown with rust last time i saw it. I've got a standard one you can have for free if you are desperate :surrender:. Might have to turn your boost down though as it is dangerous on the standard one. You could blow the 3rd piston.

Bin that bit of shite you have :unsure:.

Bourkey

cheers for the offer matey but really dont wanna go back to the standard one.

buying a brand new one tomorrow, gonna set me back a pretty penny but it wont break like a piece of shite lol

cheers for the advise ian matey.

deffinately going to go for the ct9 manny now, especially as the new TD12 ultimate turbo enzo is testing will be a straight fit :surrender: