Hi guys and girls,

Basically, I'm trying to diagnose the issue I'm having before I take it to a mechanic. I want to know what could possibly be wrong so that I can work out how much it's going to cost to fix it.

Here's the deal:

I was having issues a while back where at one stage the car was getting stuck in a particular gear and not wanting to come back out. It even got stuck one day at the lights and took me forever to put it back in gear. I changed the clutch fluid and this appeared to help things slightly for a little while. Then, about 2 months ago, it decided to pretty much die on me. The car now makes a slight grazing noise as if something is lightly scratching against something else in the gearbox and even when the clutch pedal is all the way in, the gear tries to grab. Once I let the clutch out, it's a pain in the ass to drive because it shudders and it's hard to find out where the "sweet spot" is on the clutch.

I've got an EP91 with a 4E-FTE.

I hope I've provided enough information for someone to be able to diagnose this! I've had my Starlet sitting in the carpark for 2 months now and I'm really starting to miss driving it!!

The misses has given me an ultimatum: If it's a cheap fix, I get to keep the car. If it's a $$$ fix, I have to cut my losses and sell it as is...

Please save me (and my Starlet) from this cruel fate!!

• 3 weeks later...

if theres a scrapping noise in the box its maby the bearing has collapsed and it flinging bits round the box depends if you get a new clutch probs about 100 pounds to fit new bearing because you have to take the gearbox out but if your losing fluid you have have probibly got a blown clutch slave cylinder not a costly job just a hours labour and the bit hope it helps

dave