Right a while ago Mr Joz pointed out a backbox to me on e-bay(off a scrapped ep91 na), which I got

backbox.jpg

(polished with kitchen towel! :D)

I sat on it for ages and eventualy got a quote to get it and the mani fitted (parts and labour, about £90-100)

Having been to halfords and seen exhaust clamps he said would cost £8, for £1.50 and and £3-4 for a tube of exhaust sealant, and dad having those triangle girder things you drive onto to get a cars end up, I'm tempted to do it myself

I want to learn about cars and such, so no better way to learn than to do it right?

Questions are:-

1) What size exhaust clamp will I need?

2) It appears to have a flanged end, and I get the impression (so did the mechanic who quoted) the old one would come off, and the new would simply fit over the existing pipe

Is this true?

3) Im't not sure how the mechanism that currently holds on the exhast works, it looks like it clamps around the lips at the front/back of the box

How do I get it off?

4) The new one has a squareish bracket that goes up (see pic), any idea how to attach it?

Thanks in advance

Well, to be honest.

If you have the standard starlet backbox on there its just a case of removing the old box and bolting that one in its place using the clamps that came off the old one.

Thats what I did, just a stright swap over, no probs at all. £100 to have it fitted? Way overpriced.

The rear pipe on that box is the same as the standard one so it will fit onto the rest of the system perfect.

It really is a case of just taking the old box off, its clamped on exactly the same and putting the new on with the clamps and things that are used on the standard one.

Thats what I did for mine and got it fitted free, handy when you know a mechanic. No need to buy anything, just take the old one off and put that one on.

Enjoy the nice sound of the TTE rear, its a beut!