Idle Issue Versus Mot Problem

Hi guys,

I am in need for some help concerning my 4E-FTE.

My first problem was my high idle problem as described here:

First problem:

It started when me and a friend changed the TMIC setup for a FMIC setup. That did not fit due to some installation problems, and I installed the old completely original TMIC setup.

Since then, the car idles around 1250 rpm where it did around 900 rpm before.

Things I have tried to find the problem:

I checked for vac leaks. (I used brake cleaner to spray on the engine bay and parts to look if the sound of the engine changed. I also de-installed and put back the tmic setup and looked at cracks in the rubber and clamps. I also looked at the other small hoses, but could not find anything that had cracks in it or did not seal properly.

Cold start the engine does 1750 rpm. Then it slowly after a while drops to 1500, 1250 where it stays. Even when the engine temp gets half way as it allways does, the idle does not drop. When I touch the pedal it rises and sometimes drops a tiny bit under 1250.

But it also happened, when I turned the engine off and started it back on, it suddenly did 1050 rpm! Very strange..

When I took it after a small drive, and let it stop again to stand still it did not went back to 1050 rpm..

I also removed the EFI fuse to erase any form of fault codes or whatever, this did not make any form of difference.

What could be causing this? I personally don't think it's the vac leak, I checked it and it boosts fine, boost doesn't come on later or anything like that..

Could it be the coolant sensor? Or any other sensor? Or do I need to clean the TPS and stuff?

Thanks,

Marco

Second problem after turning down the idle (or perhaps the second problem was allready present)

Today I also checked the diagnostics, no errors found. The car in current condition will not pass Dutch MOT with the emission it has .

With stock 4E-FE catalyst it passed the MOT last november without any trouble.

I tested the emission Friday with a friend of mine and I had too much Co. The test also said the car was running too rich. What can be the cause of this problem? I've adjusted the idle back to around 1000 rpm with the screw that sits on top the intake near the TPS (under that little rubber thingy). Did that screw up my emission?

Any help would be appreciated smile.gif

1) Clean all the TB + components see if that helps.....then move on to the coolant temp sensor (although if this is faulty it throw a CTS code)

2) Could be the lambda sensor my N/A took a while to produce decent figures and the EM light never showed replaced the sensor and this year it went flying thru

for the idling issue try the little screw on back of inlet manifold (right at back near throttle body) keep turning it clockwise and it will go down till you get to the desired idling revs thats what i did

2 badassracer69: I've done that last friday, Idle rpm is okay now.

2 Asad_EP5DR: We have cleaned the TB internally with some magic stuff. Also cleande where the throttle calble is attached to and that comes back nicely now. Lambda is something I haven't checked, might be that one. There were no fault codes yesterday but that doesn't mean lambda is okay :thumbsup:

The coolant temp (the green thing near the thermostat) gave a certain reading. I put a spare coolant temp (from a 2E-E engine) in the rad opening and after some while measured both. One was 0,34, other 0,38 so that should seem okay (?)

I'm a bit confused and worried what else might cause the overfuelling. I can smell the fuel when I remove the oil filler cap to check the inside of the cap.

have you got fuel pressure regulator stock/ aftermarket check the vaccum pipe that goes to the inlet for leaks or lose connection..as if there is crack or leaks on that pipe it will get high idling as well ..

fuel pressure regulator is stock, but I'll check it tomorrow if the vaccuum pipe leaks :p

It did have high idling yeah, turned the idle down a bit a while ago, but it's still not perfect atm.

When it idles at 1050 rpm (warm engine), and I give it a short rev, it will drop to 950 rpm. After driving with the car and stopping for a traffic light it will idle at 1050 rpmagain. Give it a little rev when standing still it usually drops to around 950 rpm, but when I move the car and stop for another traffic light..same story again..

Well, back again here..

Checked the fuel pressure regulator, seemed fine, no cracks or whatever in the vac pipe I saw.

Im thinking it has something to do with my throttlebody. What can have a influence on the Co level so that the car runs too rich?

Idle is still not as it is supposed to be sometimes. Lambda sensor is oke, checked that at a local MOT garage...

• 2 weeks later...