Does Repeated Cranking Flood The Engine?

Last night my car failed me again due to the stupid tiny japanese battery, i really should get it replaced but 99% of time its fine so im not.

Was at the petrol station but left the lights on whilst i refulled, full tank from bottom to brim so took a few mins, qued, paid etc so 5 - 10 mins in total. Get back to the car and the bitch would start. Was late, not many people about so tried bumping it with little sucess as i could only roll 10m or so on the petrol station forecourt plus i had to push it then jump in. I tired cranking it loads of times hoping some life would be injected from somewhere.....it never started.

Anyway some dude came over said he had some jump leads, banging.....there are some good people out there.....so anyway gets the leads on after a few mins gave it a try wouldnt fire into life without me giving it some on the throttle....as soon as it came to live and i let off the throttle it died again.....did the once or twice.....shitting me up thinking id got bigger issues than a flat battery. So the next time it started i kept it reving high for half a min or so, it struggled again when i let off but kept going, after a few mins it seemed to settle. Ragged it home good and propper as it had pissed me off. Been fine since.

Now my question when i was trying to start it with the jump leads on why would the engine keep dying after it had started? and wouldnt start without the throttle pressed?

Is it because all the cranking i had done had thrown a load of fuel in and it had to get all that burned out of the way? Im not worried or anything, it seems fine now, im just wondering for my own knowledge bank why it did that. If anyone know that would be good.

Thanks

David