I have an SR :) and noticed a few people been talkin bout puttin a 5efe engine into there starlets...

i would love to make my SR a 1.5 but how much does this engine cost to buy and get put in? and also im only 18... how much is insurance likely to be? to much?

Appreciate any advice cheers :)

My first Starlet was a 5E mate, in my opinion they are a real good engine and a straightfoward swap (though I bought my car with it already done).

However, the 1.5 Paseo engines are like hen's teeth (over here in NI anyway) and you would be lucky to find one with less than 80,000 on the clock. It's also worth noting that as these engines approach 100,000 miles, they are known to burn oil. Mine was burning oil like nobodies business before I took it off the road.

Having said that you get alot more poke with a 1.5 as opposed to the 1.3, and plenty more torque. If you can find the engine at a decent price and get it fitted cheap, then go for it.

It's also worth mentioning that you need to replace the 4EFE ECU with the 5EFE one. My Starlet was a '98 Sportif, but I'm sure I heard of someone having issues putting one into an SR because of the ECU. Don't quote me on that though lol. Hope this helps mate.

Watsi

very easy, cud do it yourself and get it all done dirt cheap!!

plus, you get a few more mods available that are actualy for ure engine, e.g. 4-2-1 manifold being the main one! i would say a fettled one of these would make 120 BHP ?! nice little pokey motor! i was considering this on my white one, but then decided to drop the FTE in it. should be banging a 5E in the blue one though when mines all sorted :)

Jay

I'm planning on getting this done next year hopefully! :)

It's pretty much a straight swap, you can use the 4efe ECU, using the 5efe ECU gives problems with immobiliser apparently..The only thing you need to swap around is the throttle position sensor I think..your best bet is to talk to the member "Project C.F.A", he did his 5efe conversion recently :)

In regards to insurance, the 5efe is pretty much identical to the 4efe, bar the sticker on the rocker cover, so make of that what you will lol