Anything Wrong With A Custom Intercooler Like This?

I spied this intercooler on ebay earlier and it looks a good size for Starlets, about as wide as the WEPR coolers but not as tall: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SMALL-Intercoole...id=p3286.c0.m14

Would it be worth buying a universal core along with a piping kit similar to this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-...id=p3286.c0.m14 to make a custom intercooler? It works out about £130+ cheaper than a HDi or Autobahn intercooler, and looks like it should work fine for the average CT9 user.

Are those universal cores worth using or are they just cheap/badly made/low quality shit?

I have a random "universal" intercooler of eBay on mine, nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Most of the cores (if I remember correctly) excluding the Greddy one and a couple of others are most likely just shitty cores made in China anyway.

I'd be more worried about the piping personally, it's something that you have to get spot on and unless you're handy at working with metal I doubt it would be very easy to make a perfect route to the FMIC with that.

I may be wrong, and you may strike lucky with it or something, but I'd personally rather just buy a kit.

I'm using a Focus ST Intercooler...as long as the dimensions fit with the space you intend it going in, it'll be fine really, as sexy Bill said, the piping is imperative...however, with my intercooler I only needed two pipes fabricating, as opposed to the silly looping and cross-over ones typical in Starlet kits

Ah that's fine then, I have no worries about the piping I don't think it should be too hard, especially if I could get hold of a HDi hot side pipe then it would be a piece of piss.

I'm not too bothered about it being "perfect" rather than functional and cheap. Even the expensive Blitz intercooler has a hideously shit piping route yet I don't see anyone complaining about it or it's cheaper copy (autobahn).

The HDI kit would have probably been my first choice but after coming across a more suitable size core for alot cheaper and then a piping kit it just made me wonder why not many people do it.

to be honest that piping looks pretty shite, i would expect them to blow off the pipe everyother day... but it is cheap and will serve it's perpose if thats what your looking for.

nothing wrong with the core, but personaly i would go for a slightly bigger but thinner core, rather then the small but thick just for serfice area.

if you want cheap that will work... how well it will work is the main factor.