General Toyota Knowledge Required

First of all I just have to say, 'It's been a while!'

I logged in after quite a while only to be greeted by a '43,695 New Posts' message! That's a lot!

Anyway,

As probably none of you will remember I am driving a pretty sluggish stylish 1.6 Corolla and am looking a little extra go.

I'm wondering if anyone here would have any knowledge of other Toyota's, their engines, and what parts from the bigger engines that may be compatable.

If anyone here actually works in a Toyota garage and may have access to part numbers and specifc details then that would be great.

If this isn't the right place to be asking for help on this stuff, then point me in the right direction - Does anyone know of any hardcore 'rolla forums where the members will have technical knowledge of the cars they own? Searching the TOC forums has been a deadend for specifics!

Thanks in advance,

Rob

hey mate welcome back.

so if im correct your engine is a 4afe 1.6

if thats the case, any hi performance 4age engine will fit. you could get a 4agze supercharged engine.

if you dont know much about this engine you should maybe read up a wee bit on it, its a special engine and toyotas potent answer to hondas vtec.

if you dont want to go that mad the 4afe is very limited tuning wise. you could fit a larger capacity 1.8 7afe in there, they come in a range of toyotas. and with cams and other work good for 150bhp plus.

Hey Enzo!

Unforunately my engine isn't from that series.

If we're gonna talk model numbers, here's what I know so far:

3ZZ-FE (My Car)

Displacement: 1598cc

Bore: 79.0mm

Stroke: 81.5mm

Power: 109hp

1ZZ-FE (The slow Celica)

Displacement: 1794 cc

Bore: 79.0mm

Stroke: 91.5mm

Power: 140bhp

2ZZ-GE (Corolla T-Sport)

Displacement: 1796 cc

Bore: 82.0mm

Stroke: 85.0mm

Power: 190bhp

The 3ZZ and 1ZZ share the same engine block from what I can tell from searching on the net, but I'm looking to know what other parts they share. Fueling system? Exhaust system? Parts that third partys have made for the larger engine that might still fit mine.

I belive the 2ZZ-GE is has a different engine block than the others, but I'm wondering if they perhaps share some parts because the Corolla T-Sports have a lot more after-market parts available than the lowly 1.6.

An example of the info I'm looking - if the T-Sport (2ZZ-FE) had a better intake manifold than the 1.6 (3ZZ-FE) or 1.8 (1ZZ-FE), but how they fitted to the head were the same, then I could upgrade mine. If the intake manifold gaskets for the engines are all the same, chances are everything would fit fine.

Rob

It says there's a TRD supercharger kit available. That hints at the engine being able to withstand a small amount of boost.

Have you considered a small turbo? Obviously it's going to be expensive but for "power vs money" turbocharging usually comes out on top.

- I just did a quick search on google and there are bolt on turbo kits available.

A bolt on turbo or supercharger kit would be awesome.

The TRD supercharger mentioned in the wikipedia entry was for the 1.8 1ZZ-FE. That's why I'm trying to find out if it'll be compatible with my engine - the 1.6 3ZZ-FE.

I did a bit of searching for turbo kits for the 1.6, but didn't find anything. Perhaps, again the turbo kits are specifically for the 1.8, in which case I'll need to know if the two are compatible.

I work for Toyota mate and ive not seen much mods for 3ZZ or 4ZZ but the 1ZZ has a bolt on turbo kit that a customer has on his MK3 MR2, boosts performance by alot but dont know the full spec, the kit cost £4000 thou.

I couldnt say if the 3ZZ and 1ZZ are compatible with mods but there isnt that much difference between them. without research its hard to say.

Gary