Compression Figures wanted

does anyone know what the compression pressure (psi) should be on a 4efte.

i checked mine yesterday

Results:

1= 125 psi

2= 97

3= 100

4= 125

do these seem ok

Either you didnt do the test well or your engine is seriously knackered !!! They should be within 4psi from each chamber mate and usually at 165psi unless its the engine with the grey timing belt cover. Those are 180-185psi

hmmmm why did you put oil in exactly? anyway to me it sounds that those 2 require an overhaul.

And the general 125 could be related to the luke warm. Not sure if damage and i tested it for 160 on cold or not...

i put oil in the cylinders to see if it was bore wear or poor sealing valves were to blame for low compression. as you may know, when you put a little oil in the cylinder it seals the piston better, so if the compression is better with oil in the cylinder you have worn rings/bores, if the compression is unchanged it is valve sealing problems.

never knew that compression could be around 180psi on some starlets......always heard the usual 150 - 170 psi range

mine is around 170psi.........i think those that put the 4efte pistons in the 5efhe, usually get about 180-185psi compression

the general consesus, as pb stated is 10% variance between cylinders.....but mechanics tend to use the 5% (racers) to 15% rule

yeah,,,,the dry and wet compression test wil show up any faults

cheers guys,

so the general consensus is that my engines fucked.

strange thing is is it starts and runs ok, i only checked it beacause it was, apparently, not as fast as someone elses. i did have doubts about a burnt inlet valve though, because when i ran it without any intake pipes i could hear some popping back through the throttle body.

i know whats caused the engine to go so fucked though. the last owner told me that when he got it, it still had a japanese oil filter onit. the car came to the UK four years earlier. so 4 years on the same oil and filter does no good to any engine. Its already had a set of big end bearings so i might chuck a set of rings in and do the valves. Otherwise, if its too worn to repair ill get a 5e engine to put in.

• 3 years later...
how much do a set of genuine piston rings cost from toyota?

Hello ive been looking and best place to get them from is toy tunning you can take your piston out and measure it and get the exact size. They are around 70 pound for a full set, also dont foget to de glaze the bore before fitting the new piston rings.