Hearing A Very Strange Noise..

I recently got an Exedy Organic Clutch fitted to the car and for the first 500 miles of use I didn't thrash the car at all, I tried to change gears as calmly as possible to give it a chance to run in. Once the 500 miles was up I figured I'd give the car a bit of a push and see how it's coping with it.

It pulls fine, no problems whatsoever no signs of it slipping either, however when I hit between 4-5k+ revs in any gear I get this scraping type noise. It sounds like an arch scrubbing or something similar but the fact it seems to happen at the same time in every gear seems coincidental. It's coming from in the engine bay and I took a mate for a drive and he seemed to think it was on the passenger side of the engine bay.

Now, this could be down to the clutch or it could be absolutely anything, perhaps even unrelated to the clutch and it's just appeared at a coincidental time.

I have got mapping booked for a couple of weeks time and I'm nervous that this could be the beginning signs of a serious issue. There is no issue with boost, or speed, neither seem to be affected, I have checked all my boost hoses for leaks or anything and generally looked around to see if anything could be causing it and I'm baffled.

I have recently changed my wheels to wider ones on the front as my tyres had gone below the legal limit. I will be getting new ones fitted on Tuesday and I'm praying that this sorts it out.

Has anyone had an issue similar to this or can give me any advice on it?

Thanks

I'll give that a try tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

One thing I will say though is that when I slowly built the revs up without boosting it didn't seem to do it, however when I'm booting it and boosting to around .6 bar with my foot down a bit it happens every time.

I topped the oil up recently, it had gone down a bit but it wasn't concerning low or anything, I'd say it was just below half way. I did the last oil change about 1500 miles ago definitely used the correct oil etc.

How would I check for play in the turbo shaft mate?

Hi Bill

Sounds like a problem with the turbocharger there mate, might be worth getting it checked out, stock CT9s tend to have this problem when the bearings have worn badly, how old is the turbo?

Drop me a PM if you need any further advice and ill help all i can

Take Care

~Nick @ Tuning Developments LTD

It's a Tongs hybrid mate with around 5000 miles on it since it was new. I can't think of any way that I could've caused any issues with it, I've been running it on low boost since I fitted it until I get the mapping sorted. :)

Just been out and checked for shaft play, there was none at all it seemed to be completely firm and all blades were intact, couldn't see anything that could be causing any issues.

Are you able to email us over a sound clip of the car making this noise? Cant remember how far away from us you said you were but if you can bring the car to us we can tell you 100% the problem as its quite hard to tell over the internet.

Look forward to hearing back and you know where we are if we can help with anything else?

Many Thanks

~Nick @ Tuning Developments LTD

Bill, my brother is having a VERY similar problem and guess wot....he recently fitted an excedy clutch too.

we put the car on ramps and had a listen, the closest we could discern was that it was coming from around the splash guard on the gearbox/clutch area.

for us its happening between 2200rpm and 2500rpm ish.

Phil.

That's very interesting Phil, I had Rick in the car and he seems near certain it's coming from the clutch too. I remember seeing Idrees had a problem with his really early on aswell?

Nick - If it was the bearings I don't think it'd be a scraping type sound would it? I just viewed a few videos on YouTube and they all seemed to be a whine followed by a LOT of smoke. I don't have any symptoms like that the car is driving exactly as it should and I can't feel any boost drop or anything similar from the start of the rev range to 6k.

I've just read a post from Jay stating that my clutch is making a noise too, he thinks its coming from the spash gaurd area too. my clutch is an exedy item with a TRD pressure plate thingymabob.

i'm wondering if exedy clutches cause vibrations in the splash plate/guard around 2200rpm or so???????????

Phil.

it isnt a vibrating sound, its a scraping noise. i cant tell you how similar it is to wheel scrubbing. i even thought thats what it was at first.

i am however 100% sure its the clutch after going for a drive and listening for myself. i was originally concerned about the box. but the shifting is too smooth and precise for that level of noise.

im having trouble seeing how the splash guard can move about though. it is bolted on pretty stiff. theres about 6 or 7 bolts holding it on iirc. also bill has a stock fly, so nothing on the splash plate side should be any different to stock. its only the PP and the clutch disc itself that is different.

im puzzled, ill say that much.

Idrees had a problem with his but that was a paddle. Joeep91 had an issue with his that was down to a bad installation.

Add me, Phil and his brother to the list!

Gets interesting..

Thanks for your input Rick, it sounds exactly as he was explaining. I have just taken a couple of video clips hopefully they'll give you an example of the sound being produced.

my fly hasnt been changed either, just the clutch and PP, and Jay is reporting odd noises from the clutch area of mines.

Mark had the clutch and PP replaced with an Exedy 30% uprate item, all he needs for now, and is gettin definate vibrations, so perhaps not identical to Bill's issue, but could ceertainly be related. mark's is happenin both on and off boost i believe. its the oddest fuckin sound when your in the car, but its not as loud as Bill is describing his to be.

Phil.

That is most odd - I don't believe its turbo as it'd be a higher frequency sound than that, with it spinnig far faster than road/engine speed...it does happen higher up the rev range which leads me to think, do you rest your foot on the clutch pedal at all, just before you change gear?

Rick said the same, that it didn't sound turbo related at all, hes certain it's clutch related.

Nope, I don't rest my foot on the clutch mate, perhaps VERY occasionally but not all the time, and this really is happening every time I reach the upper revs.

RESOLVED!

Basically I took the car to 3 garages this week, one of which was a local "tuning" company. Noone could give me an answer as to what it was, however the tuning company tried to convince me it was coming from the DSBC. (Right!)

Basically I drove the car a bit harder to see if the noise got any worse and suddenly it started sounding like hell. This was a good thing though as it made it a lot more obvious what it was. As soon as I popped my bonnet Rick noticed some black soot had leaked onto my FMIC hot pipe. After then starting the car it was blatant that the air was escaping from below the mani.

It seems that the bolts on the manifold>turbo had vibrated themselves loose which had been causing vibrations within the turbo.

All sorted now, it's running awesome! Thanks for anyone who offered any advice, it was greatly appreciated.

yeah, it was so bloody obvious once the bonnet was open and there was some light in there what the problem was.

im disgusted that a proper "tuner"/mechanic couldnt figure it out. it was so bloody obvious. anyone who thinks a blowing exhaust is how a boost controller sounds is a plonker to be honest.

to think people let him actually work on their cars!