Car Impounded Question

As some of you know i swapped my starlet for an fto. The guy i swapped it with has been caught driving it with no licence/insurance. At the time of the swap i did not have the V5 in my possesion as i was waiting on it so when the incident happened i was still the registered keeper. the car is now impounded and several attemps to contact the guy i swaped with has failed. Does anybody know if i can claim the car if it sits in the inpound after the 14 days unclaimed. i still have the v5 and valid insurance.

cheers

dont want to let the car get destroyed as i regret swapping it in the first place.

to be honest i dont think the guy gives a shit because he never came to get the log book. ill make more enquiries tomorrow because i still need to sort out the police side of things. if i claim to be the owner they could charge me with letting him drive unlicensed and uninsured.

what a fucking bastard, i take it you didnt swap it at his house then.

no i went to view it without the mot slip and stuff so he followed me home to get it then swapped at mines.

I would be surprised if the Police didn't fine you to be honest. I thought by law when you sell a car, it's the sellers responsiblilty to send the V5 to register it under the new owners name.

My friend has just been fined £400 for not regsitering his old Evo under the new owners name. They got caught driving with no licence and insurance, so it's the same kinda thing!

Good luck though if you can get it back! It will be a bargain!!

dont want to let the car get destroyed as i regret swapping it in the first place.

Firstly hate to say I told you so :lol:

Well its technically still your car if your name is on the V5, I would imagine if he tried to go get it out they would tell him where to go.

Get in touch with the police/impound ASAP and get it back.

Sounds like you swapped with a right tossbag :thumbsup:

ok heres the script. police have the guys details now so they can take it from there. aparently it was a woman who was driving when the incident occured so i have no idea if he has sold it on or gave it to them to drive but the worst part of all is that they got caught because she ran into the back of another car, after contacting the impound they told me that the car has no bumper and front end damage so im assuming its a fucking mess and if i want it ill need 270 to get it back today.

BASTARDS!!!!

Guest cheshireglanza
ok heres the script. police have the guys details now so they can take it from there. aparently it was a woman who was driving when the incident occured so i have no idea if he has sold it on or gave it to them to drive but the worst part of all is that they got caught because she ran into the back of another car, after contacting the impound they told me that the car has no bumper and front end damage so im assuming its a fucking mess and if i want it ill need 270 to get it back today.

BASTARDS!!!!

might be worth still getting it back if damage not really bad