Water Pump Gone, F**k!

Did a full service on my starlet today, air fuel oil plugs and timing belt, and somehow the belt is too tight, because it is a self tensioner it shouldn't overtighten, so left it built it up, did the service.

Then driving it around earlier, power steering went and battery light came on.......

Bottom pulleys come off so, pulled over took the bottom pulley, and both belts off, drove home, and noticed a load of steam coming out of bonnet.... yep water pump had gone fuckin swav!

so back in to work tomorrow on my day off

Sorry, but without any aux belts the powersteering pump/alt/water pump do not operate......i find it hard to see how the water pump has broken.....if theres no belt it stops spinning :thumbsup:

If you saw steam etc the car was over heating (as theres no belt > therefore pump is not circulating water > therefore water is not moving around the block/rad to cool it)

Sorry, but without any aux belts the powersteering pump/alt/water pump do not operate......i find it hard to see how the water pump has broken.....if theres no belt it stops spinning :thumbsup:

If you saw steam etc the car was over heating (as theres no belt > therefore pump is not circulating water > therefore water is not moving around the block/rad to cool it)

i see what your saying but there are three belts the cambelt which goes round the cam pulley, crakshaft pulley, waterpump, two pulleys.

then the alternator belt which goes on the crankshaft pulley and alternator,

and the powersteering belt that goes round the powersteering pulley, and the crankshaft.

Tell me if im wrong but im sure thats how it goes, with the waterpump on the cam belt

^^^ ahhh i see, cheers pal.

ye i thought it was the waterpump because after we put the cam belt on it was rattling the waterpump, as this can happen on some cars.

And when i said to my mate earlier that evening the waterpumps gonna go, it went like 2 hours after that lol!

so thats what i thought.

u fried the engine then?? check headgasket as well dude if the waterpump has gone bang theres a chance the head will have been affected too

just a heads up lol

tbh theres a part of me that wants it to be fucked lol so i can get a turbs engine!!

but still i will check it!

Why didn't you replace the water pump while you was doing the timing belt? In my opinion while doing stuff like timing belts it's wise to replace other parts like that so you only have to take it apart once.

i didnt no it was gonna go and i didnt have 27 quid to just buy a waterpump too