I've asked this a few times and either people don't do it on their EPs or it can't be done :D

On the MR2 you can remove the cat from the turbo and smash out the centre to create a cheap decat (a genuine decat has better flow and is lighter though). So I'm thinking of removing the cat and doing the job on the EP.

If I remove the three bolts (or however many) from the back of the turbo and unbolt it from the front of the exhaust that should be that should it? remove the innards and then put it back on?

Please tell me if this is rubbish :D

• 9 months later...

I gutted my cat today, easiest job ive done in ages and in the rain... Used to the joys of MR2 Turbo ownership where every job takes 2 days with the engine out LOL.

Take time means if its tight use plenty of WD40 and wind forwards and backwards to free the bolt etc.

Basically gutting the CAT steps with times without breaking anything :wub: are:

Job Time Activity

1 00:05 Jack up at the front (I used ramps).

2 00:10 Remove 4 bolts holding two front undertrays at the front, pull appart, use plenty of WD40 and take time.

3 00:05 Unbolt the exhaust stabiliser tap the clamp down, use plenty of WD40 and take time.

4 00:10 Remove heat shield from CAT, note its a good Idea to use a 1/4 ratchet with a short extension bar.

5 00:01 Undo clip on temp sensor, its a tricky begger :wub:

6 00:10 Undo the four main bolts that hild the bottom part of the cast manifold onto the CAT,use plenty of WD40 and take time.

7 00:02 Pull bottom casting part off and push to the side Tie up with some wire I tied it to my aircon pump.

8 00:10 Bash the crap out of the CAT brick with chisle until it falls out.

9 00:01 Check for cat brick debris in bottom elbow and metal rings \ gause found in cat housing.

Refit all parts 00:26

So to gut the cat on my EP82 quad lamp took about 01hour 20mins approx

Powerwise its a bit more responsive and seems to want to give a bit more at higher revs, also seems to have given me 1 or 2 psi gain over stock, My car is totally stock apart from this mod and it appears on the stock Boost gauge to reach just a sliver before the + line now whereas before it was on the graduation before.

In terms of Mods I would rate this 6/10