What To Look For?

Going to look at a glanza later :thumbsup:

so im just asking what problems to check for?

also,the car is apparantly modified! being new to these i dont what the standard stuff look like nor the upgrades! anybody got a pic of say a standard set-up & one with an upgraded turbo etc?

what is stamped on the standard turbo? & where will i find it?

anymore help is appreciated B)

Nice to have such a useful search button here. :thumbsup:

it was said tongue in cheek B)

i've had a search read a buying guide,but obviously over time more problem area's become apparant.

im more looking for help on identifying a modded turbo/manifold from a standard etc

it was said tongue in cheek :thumbsup:

Same here

Make sure it hasn't had a fuel cut defender fitted and then ran on standard fuelling. It will possibly be running lean.

The standard manifold is easy to identify if it hasn't got the heat shield over it, it's a cast piece and will most probably have surface rust. The best way to describe the standard turbo is that it's small. B)

Have a look here: http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index....engine+bay+pics

read that mate :thumbsup: cheers,nothing else to look for regarding problems then?

starlets are generally bulltetproof if maintained well so ask for any service history and reciepts and mileage. Look out for the obvious things smoke, rattles and accident damage etc and if the seller has upgraded the turbo he/she will have mentioned it to u allready

also buying a car can be stressfull and exciting sodont rush into it and buy on impulse, the right car is always worth the wait and ther are plenty of starlets/glanzas for sale so look aroud

Also another thing I look for when buying a car is what sort of person the seller is. It's usually a good indication of how they have treated the car, how honest they are, and how good their work is if they have done any mods themselves.

That probably seems like something most people would normally do anyway, but seeing as these cars can potentially be "ruined" if messed around with by an idiot then I'd take extra care. For example a member on here recently bought a GT, 3 weeks later the piston rings had gone.

I would elaborate on that but I'm sure some people would take it wrongly. :thumbsup:

Same here

Make sure it hasn't had a fuel cut defender fitted and then ran on standard fuelling. It will possibly be running lean.

The standard manifold is easy to identify if it hasn't got the heat shield over it, it's a cast piece and will most probably have surface rust. The best way to describe the standard turbo is that it's small. :thumbsup:

if it has a fuel cut defeder then that is not a bad thing if tis set up properly so if it does ask where it was set up and ask for a reciept of the work

if it has a fuel cut defeder then that is not a bad thing if tis set up properly so if it does ask where it was set up and ask for a reciept of the work

What I meant was these idiots who just fit FCD's to cure their fuel cut problem but they don't alter the fuelling.

A bit of boost creep will mean they're running lean (hot).

Being set up with the right fuelling is fine, just make sure it's done properly.

Same here

The standard manifold is easy to identify if it hasn't got the heat shield over it, it's a cast piece and will most probably have surface rust. The best way to describe the standard turbo is that it's small. :thumbsup:

that's a great help B)

some starlets have an extra metal pipe coming off the manifold/turbo & goes towards the left hand side? what is this?

sorry for what's probably a simple question!

The extra metal pipe your on about is probably if they are running an external wastegate instead of an internal wastegate which is controlled by the actuator.

Its all a steep learning curve if your new to turbo cars, totally different kettle of fish

Best of luck :thumbsup:

The extra metal pipe your on about is probably if they are running an external wastegate instead of an internal wastegate which is controlled by the actuator.

Its all a steep learning curve if your new to turbo cars, totally different kettle of fish

Best of luck :thumbsup:

i dont think it's an external w/g? i know what one of them looks like,i suppose the pipe could lead to one though? i'l try & find a pic of what i mean.

im familiar with turbo cars,but not starlets,i've been in to r5gtt's for 10 years!

mate

personally

i would post a picture or a link to the car ad

because most likely a member may no some history on the said car and maybe fill you in with some info so when you do go and view you arn't wasting your time

i would if there was one,i placed wanted ads here there & everywhere,someone e-mailed me so i have no pics of the car,but was informed it's modified.

was meant to be viewing tonight,but looks like it will be tommorrow now.

i dont think it's an external w/g? i know what one of them looks like,i suppose the pipe could lead to one though? i'l try & find a pic of what i mean.

im familiar with turbo cars,but not starlets,i've been in to r5gtt's for 10 years!

dont worry!!! lol i think it's just clicked what it is!! lmao!! what a twat i feel!