Just noticed the cars started blowing out a large lump of oily smelling smoke now and then but not constantly, also the idle seems to drop when this happens then picks up again and it stops smoking very strange.

Also the gear box is feeling very sticky and reverse gear grinds everytime when the cars hot. Could this be gearbox oil needin changed or looked at?

Is it smoking from the exhaust / breeder / dip stick ?? Check those and tell us mate.

Reverse can be a nuisance but than again when was the last time you changed your gearbox oil ? Might need some changing mate. Will always help and its not wasted money :D

Is it smoking from the exhaust / breeder / dip stick ?? Check those and tell us mate.

Reverse can be a nuisance but than again when was the last time you changed your gearbox oil ? Might need some changing mate. Will always help and its not wasted money ;)

I'll find out for ya, it was dark last night so only saw big puffs of it from the exhaust, ok dopey moment here, wots the breeder?

Gearbox oil i've never changed but i've only had the car 4 weeks, suggestions for oil much appreciated, going to change the engine oil too did a search i think on the forums think yas where talkin about 10-40 semi synthetic.

Ok no smoke when cold, took er for a run and then when i stopped after sitting for about 2-3 mins, blueish smoke starts to appear, if i blip the throttle a big puff comes out!

No smoke from dip stick or anywhere else under the bonnet, just the exhaust.

Any ideas? And is it safe to drive it when its doing this? Get my company car tomorrow so can drive it while i get this repaired when i know what it is.

Ok bit more info. I've got oil in my coolent so leaning towards the head gasket area but would this explain the burning of oil? Could be a couple of things, when i sleep all i see is pound signs lol!

Ahh well perfect opportunity for a high lift cam ;)

Get my company car today so takin the wee monster off the road untill the works done, no point in stressin the we thing and causing more damage.

If it is the Head Gasket, where can i get a performance gasket, better suited to the sorta compression i want to be dealing out eventually?

Was down talkin to the mechanic, says the oil filter could cause an oil leak into the cooling system but thinks its most likely in the head area.

So going to get the gasket done, seals, ordering a high lift cam since he'll be pokin about in there, i'll get the timing belt sorted, oil filter and oil all changed, Fuel reg and pump upgraded, don't think i can afford the injectors just yet though. Damn i'm going to be out a fortune, luckily the guy only charges about £15 an hour so not to bad. Alot of workt here though.

If it's not blowing oil smoke out under normal driving conditions, it's because it's burning it too quickly to notice it. But when it idles, it's given time to lose oil into the combustion chambers, hence why when it's idled for a few minutes it puffs blue smoke out when you blip the pedal.

I'd do a compression test on all cylinders to start with, but as has already been stated, it's more than likely your valve stem oil seals on their last legs.

Forgot bout this thread.... sorry ... sounds like a headgasket problem to me mate.

I'm thinkin its a combination of both. Takin the opportunity to got some major work done to the engine, all fueling, new cam, new cam belt and tensioners etc and general service (filters and oil) will cost alot but i think the car deserves some TLC lol!