How 2: Fit A Boost Gauge

Boost Gauge

This is how i fitted my AutoGauge Smoked Boost Gauge to my '93 EP82

Sorry this is going to be a bit vague and the pics are crap due to the digital camera being on holiday with my folks so these are taken off my phone, but hey it's better then nuthing...

okay, first off you need to fit the T-fitting into the vacume line!

like this:

gallery_10_5_1128876675.jpg

(better image thanks to GoldenVTR)

Image03.jpg

Note: it is easier to slide the hose onto the T-fitting if you put the end into a cup of hot water for a few seconds, making sure to flick out any water.

small cable-ties have been used to insure things stay where thet are.

Then you need to get the hose from the T-fitting into the cabin, for mine i used the gromit in the firewall, making a small hole in it using a nail.

I then cut a small section out of a cheap pen and wedged that into the hole so that the hose could slide through and not be squished.

like this:

gallery_10_5_1128876621.jpg

I then fed the hose along underneath the dash, above the pedal machanics (Which are sharp so be careful) and up into my pillerpod, then secured the hose onto my gauge.

Note: by removing the lower part of the dash this is alot easier!! it's held on by 5 screws that are quite easy to locate.

Next for the electrics, my gauge is a smoked one so it had x3 wires:

One to go the the ignition, one for earth and one to be wired into the lights.

the earth i quite simply just attached to the closed earthing point, this being a screw that went into the chassis underneath the dash.

for the ingition i took this from the original toyota radio (for instructions on how to get to the headunit wired please see Robbo's HeadUnit Post) i used a voltmeter to find out which wire it was, as you can see from the pic below it was the big red wire in the wireblock (the yellow wire is what i spliced into it but a scotchlock would be better)

gallery_10_5_1128876548.jpg

(sorry again for the crap pics)

Now for the Smoked style gauge it requires a dimmer wire to be hooked up into the lights so that it dosn't dazzle you at night, i also wired this up to the original radio!

It was the green wire (as shown below) in the block plug that goes into the back of the headunit.

gallery_10_5_1128876586.jpg

then i just ran the wires under the dash and up the pillerpod to the gauge.

Walla!!

gallery_10_5_1128878915.jpg

as i said, i'm sorry the pics pretty crap and the discription a bit vauge, but if anyone has anything they feel they'd like to add then please be my guest!