Head Gasket thickness Question

Hi guys, the more i read about engines the more i realise i don't have a clue!

Ok replacing the head gasket so takin the opportunity to put an uprated one on. Wots a a good make? I seen on the greenline website they sell CRUISE ones but i'm not sure if they're any good.

But my main question is about the thickness of the Gasket, wots the standard and wots the advantages/disadvantages to raising or lowering the thickness?

I want a gasket capable of handling 1.5 bar or there abouts.

Also trying to find where to buy Valve stem oil seals but not havin any luck so far.

If we are talking headgaskets here the standard item is normally fine.

I've had up to 1.6mm MLS units before. Headgasket remains intact but internals suffer over time.

It's the engine management tuning one needs to focus more attention on.

Let's face it ... better to have the headgasket blow than to hold excess pressure and blow the pistons or rods.

That's our logic on it over here these days anyway.

PB.

Nothing like stating the obvious Dave. (yawn)

OK, (just for Dave) i'll rephrase ... (yawns again)

IN THE EVENT SOMETHING WERE TO BLOW then ...

"Let's face it ... better to have the headgasket blow than to hold excess pressure and blow the pistons or rods."

PB.

Theres a load of things going into the car, its not being drove untill its been to the tuning guys, even a bit reluctant to drive it there lol.

Wots the maximum boost the standard CT9 can run at with a FMIC installed?

All depend's on the condition of the engine really. I run 18 psi with stock head gasket, have run 25psi but wouldn't advise this. In general you can run around 200@ wheels on stock internals with a good tune as stated. Like anything it's all dependant on the original condition. I've rebuilt my engine with forged pistons, everything else is stock/refreshed and running 202@wheels with 230 ft/lb of torque, using HKS pfc f-con for management..

Cheers oh and u2u sent spuddy

T

Guest daveburwash
Nothing like stating the obvious Dave. (yawn)

OK, (just for Dave) i'll rephrase ... (yawns again)

IN THE EVENT SOMETHING WERE TO BLOW then ...

"Let's face it ... better to have the headgasket blow than to hold excess pressure and blow the pistons or rods."

PB.

;) :D ;) ;) :D:DB)B)

Guest daveburwash

Hang on a minute Mr Perfect Paul, you were suggesting people have a weak leak in there build which is a ludicrous suggestion. Think I must have hit a nerve to provoke personal insults. Well I wont sink to your level Paul ;)

So to recap Spuddy we suggest you invest in the engine management and associated tuning.

Many here (in NZ) have retained the factory headgasket even when using forged pistons and rods.

The valve stem seals and other parts you asked about in your email i've replied to.

Let me know via email when you're ready to go. We have the valve stem seals in stock.

Regards,

PB.