Gearbox Vs Clutch - What's Broken?

Hi guys,

I am asking this question about something happened in the past.

Basically, here is the story;

1) We fitted a brand new Exedy paddle clutch, car made 219hp.

2) 2/3 weeks later I am cruising slowly, car pops out of 2nd gear - 2nd gear no longer exists.

3) Took off the gearbox and clutch, the clutch is a shambles. The springs and centre splines were rattling like mad.

4) Binned the clutch, fitted a brand new one and a new fully rebuilt gearbox.

Now I urgently need a gearbox and I still have this one lying around, it has only covered 62k miles. What are the chances of the box being a right off? Was the clutch the reason I couldn't feel second gear, and second gear is still alive? OR has the clutch damaged 2nd gear and the gearbox is dud?

I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow and play with the selector on the gearbox to see if it feels like it engages second gear, but what do others think? I'll also have a look at the input shaft to see if it has much play in it (it was perfect before fitting the Exedy).

Cheers guys.

My clutch bust the same way last week. The springs look like 10-20 little earrings and the friction plate wasnt attached anymore. I couldnt select a gear cause the scrapnal was stopping the clutch release bearing and fork slide in enough to disingage clutch. Be sure the cast sleeve the release bearing slide over inside bellhousing isnt damaged, cracked or flared. Mine did all three. I think on C52 gbox it is a removeable part whereas n/a box it isnt.

Check out this mans thread. Looks easy enought to split a box :surrender:

http://www.ae92gts.com/ae92gts_trans_rb_1.html

Cheers guys.

Well that's two guys who have had the exact same problem (cheshireglanza too) and their gearbox has been perfect.

Noel so yours is a gonner then by the sounds of it yeah? I'll split my box when I get the chance, as I've just bought a new one tonight so I can fit that. :(