inital tuning mods

ok guys, while im soring my new V with some alloys and other bits and pieces, what do you guys recommend for some initial tuning mods?

ive got my hks super bov fitted, and i am probably going to stay with the boxed airfilter (getting a blitz panel), i have a backbox waiting to go on also, but im just wondering what would be some good choice modifications to start my power hike before i start going down the fmic route, i'd like to get one of the blitz ecu's but i know theyre as rare as rocking horse poo.

what do you guys suggest?

i will probably get the exhaust system rebuilt just after i fit the backbox, is 2 1/2" bore ok?

also, why is it when i tryed my apexi airfilter on it the other day it went down in boost slightly? as in, it runs more boost with the standard airfilter in!!

Rich.

a) don't go down the fcd route, if you don't simultaneously fit an uprated fuel pressure regulator. i've seen many people lean out because of this.

;) fmic is the best and most basic mod for all future modding - i'd save up for that first of all, that is the best basis for anything.

c) scrap that panel filter, and do something that can take in more COLD air easily.

d) decat + better exhaust flow.

Oh and a blitz ecu - you wont be sure what it was tuned for, and might not suit your near stock car + even more of a reason to use a fmic in my opinion - to play it safe.

the full exhaust is the first thing you wanna sort, just a backbox on the stock system wont do shit. you wanna aim for 2.5" bore all the way through if you can, coupled with a decat as mentioned above.

a mani would be a good bet also, wepr/roadrunner/jam etc, but with those three you'll prob be very close to fuel cut then (i'm just under fuel cut now with only exhaust, standard cat and standard mani) which is when you wanna look into managemen/fuelling mods.

an aftermarket ecu like a blitz or a jam will remove fuel cut altogether, not just raise it, they will also remove all the other limiters and possibly increase the rev limit slightly but it depends what it was originally mapped for.

luckily i know what mods the blitz ecu i've bought was mapped for so i can aim for that, if not then i'm hoping it'll run fine on a lower setup, at most it'll run rich which could prob be knocked back with an afc/reg etc.

if you need a chat mate then give me a shout.

cheers eks, thats really helpful. ;)

i dont want to get a decat until ive got the fuelcut sorted... as ive limited on money at the mo, so i dont wanna drive around right on top of fuelcut as i wont have the money to sort it. how much do the blitz ecu's go for?

does anyone know of someone who could source me one?

and if its mapped for a totally different setup, will it not compensate the fueling anyway? so it would be fairly safe?

NDR008, do you not loose some boost when you fit a fmic? as i dont want to go down the route of a bleed valve to increase the boost if it drops...

any other recommendations?

Rich.

yeah, but getting a decat and better cold air intake will help the car boost faster (and possibly higher) without bleed valves and stuff like that.

Also though a fmic supposedly drops boost due to the higher volume and distance air has to travel. The quality of the charged air - being cooler (not absorbing heat as much from the engine as with a tmic), will give you more affective boost.

oh and for setting boost - get an HKS actuator. ;)

before you think about going faster, can you stop well?, can you take corners fast?

should always up-grade brakes and handling before thinking of going faster, for obvious reasons!

when thats sorted, full de-cat system, bored gastegate......

then save to get things done propperly, fmic, manifold, bigger turbo, relocate air filter, power FC..etc ;)

yeah, but getting a decat and better cold air intake will help the car boost faster (and possibly higher) without bleed valves and stuff like that.

Also though a fmic supposedly drops boost due to the higher volume and distance air has to travel. The quality of the charged air - being cooler (not absorbing heat as much from the engine as with a tmic), will give you more affective boost.

oh and for setting boost - get an HKS actuator. :D

thanks for that ;) gradually getting an idea of the plan... i was considering a hks actuator before xmas anyway, so i see what your getting at now.

before you think about going faster, can you stop well?, can you take corners fast?

should always up-grade brakes and handling before thinking of going faster, for obvious reasons!

when thats sorted, full de-cat system, bored gastegate......

then save to get things done propperly, fmic, manifold, bigger turbo, relocate air filter, power FC..etc ;)

stopping wise, the car had just had all new standard discs and pads fitted to the front and new pads for the rear, a few days before i bought it, so for now i dont think theres any need, as it stops better than my old na, and that had 3g discs and greenstuff pads! :D

suspension wise ive just had a set of tanbe sustec springs and dampers fitted, so for now the handling is sorted for what i use the car for (im still babying it :D ) so now im just really looking for a few small modifications that i can do that will be beneficial in the long run and help bhp/torque now. ;)

hence why im quite interested in these blitz ecu's as i really dont want to go down the route of tricking the ecu with a fcd

Rich.

well, i've already been offered £450 for mine. I know of a jam ecu which is up for sale at the moment but i've a feeling its gonna go for close to that too, if not more.

braking wise, ye i need mine sorted also, fades far too easily. abs is on all the chuffing time !