Just too add, they supposedly only work properly when stuffed with wire wool in the bottom, and in my opinion, i would vent it to the atmosphere not back into the intake :blink:

thr is no point in spending money on 1 if venting to atmosphere. the engine breather iz a vital part of the engines operation. removing exess crankcase presure and gasses, also removing condensation from the oil ways. If vented to atmosphere this will not happen, and things will go down hill from thr. if messing with the engine breather make sure you put it back into the system as milky build up and exess crank case presure will happen.

explain and why is this in the How-To section?

You are not explaining How_to do it otherwise.

why will, if venting to the atmosphere , the excess crankcase pressure and gasses be removed?

you are saying everything will go wrong without saying why.

explain and why is this in the How-To section?

You are not explaining How_to do it otherwise.

why will, if venting to the atmosphere , the excess crankcase pressure and gasses be removed?

you are saying everything will go wrong without saying why.

sorry fella it would not let me at first answer to the how 2 section. said it was locked, so i thourght this would just go on the basic forums. the hole idiae of the catch can is so as to not let oil into the inlet charge while alowing the engine to breather so to not put it in the inlet iz a pointless exersize just mite as well run your breater to a tuper wear tub with a hole.

Ive run all my cars to the atmosphere, and im yet to have any issues.

I would rather them go to the atmosphere, than having something contaminating my charge....

i hear you fella, but the hole idea of the catch can thn becomes irelavent. i have seen peolpe do headgaskets on cars because thy had bad water contamination in the oil and all it was was a block engine breather because the breather pipe split and vented 2 atmospher. som engines coupe well with the breather to open air others take as short as a week to snot up. it might just be me but i think if somthing is worth doing do it properly and correctly, first time if poss, thow not alwys happens.

i hear you fella, but the hole idea of the catch can thn became irelavent. i have seen peolpe do headgaskets on cars because thy had bad water contamination in the oil and all it was was a block engine breater because the breather pipe split and vented 2 atmospher. som engines coupe well with the breather to open air others take as short as a week to snot up. it might just be me but i think if somthing is worth doing do it properly and correctly, first time if poss, thow not alwys happens.

its a simple oil catch can peolpe not hard to put in, and does need an eye keeping on the oil level it has caught inside, and emptying wen needed, but if on a race preped car this should not be a problem as of all the other engine checks and procedurs dun befor and after racing or tracking, and if on a tuned street racing machine, daily checks should also be done. or at least weekly.

So your saying use a catch can?

Confused tbh.. lol

lol, sorry man, i find it hard to put my thourghts and explanations into words, the only benefit a catch can gives you is keeping your throttle plate and inlet system free from oil contamination and fouling. the way the engine breather works iz on open throttle conditions it draws the hot crank case/internal engine gasses som of which are oil vaper som are combustion gasses getting past the piston rings, out of the engine block, so as to not presurize the crank case, and uses thm in the inlet charge. now the first problem wen you turn off the engine after a run, its insides cool slower thn the outsides so condensation forms on the inside walls of the engine block this with the oil vapour creates a white snot like substance. the only way 2 stop this from happeneing is to suck out these gasses, as thy will not come out of thr own accord. and much as sorry if this has ended up in the wrong section of the forum am new to this forum and just finding my way around.

you got there before me lol

lol, alright mate. is it me, am i hard to understand y do i end up writing things like 4 times and end up doing baby type to get things through. i would never and have never vented my engine breater 2 atmospher. other wise all car companys could just do the same and save lots on pipes and other engine breather items like check valves for turbo aplication.

^^ i vented mine to the atmospher till you said its doing nothing few weeks ago,but now its all connected up car seems to run better to.

cheers paul, wer did you plum it in to, was it wer i told you 2 put it. befor and not after the ???? as we know wat happens if you put it after the !!!!!. hahahahah (to find out wat the ???/!!! is send a tenner to chris Ireland manchester england.

There is a reason why ALL engines have an oil breather connected to the inlet, it's to create a drag effect so the gases/vapors are not just being sloshed aronud inside the engine. without that drag there's no point in having it there. And the catch can goes between the breather and inlet to catch the oil that's dragged through so it don't fowl up the inlet track/throttle body of the system.

Ah, but if you run a line from the can to the underside of the car, facing away, you get the same effect if its hooked up to the inlet tract :blink:

Proven time and time again, may i add.

I can understand your opinion, but i disagree with it.

Ill keep my breather system seperate from contaminating my inlet charge.

i hear you fella, but the hole idea of the catch can thn became irelavent. i have seen peolpe do headgaskets on cars because thy had bad water contamination in the oil and all it was was a block engine breater because the breather pipe split and vented 2 atmospher. som engines coupe well with the breather to open air others take as short as a week to snot up. it might just be me but i think if somthing is worth doing do it properly and correctly, first time if poss, thow not alwys happens.
Route it were to original pipes are but with the can inbetween. If you have relocated the airfilter get a silicon pipe with a breathe adapter on it.

yep bro the most important thing is to put the pipe from the catch can before the turbo then you only allow suck not blow do not ever put it in after the turbo. unless a check vale is put in the line.

on the case of running a line under the car the problem comes to how long the pipe is and its inturnal diameter. as the longer the pipe the thinner it needs to be to create low presure flow (to messy much easyer to put catch can in correctly), thr iz also other areas of the car wer low presure iz created ( in the wheel arch ) thw only works wen goin forward as in rev the oposit happens, plus under the car iz wer the air iz more damp and wen it rains very damp even wet i mite say, not good conditions for a opening to the engine internals. but every 1 to thr own.

• 1 month later...

do you need to gut the pcv valve if you plumb in a catch can as i connected it to pcv then inlet manifold and oil just bubbled inside can and broke the seal on it?? so i took it off for now until i no exactly to plumb it in correct any pictures of your already plumbed in and working catch cans???

i will put som pic up soon fella, and do not take from that pipe as the sucktion is just 2 much. take off the recert valve breather into the catch can and then back to wer the recert valve went into the rocker cover breather, on this engine best option.