Slight Overheating Please Help

was driving the car home today from work and when i was stationary in traffic the temp gauge went up to the red which has never happened but when driving the temp comes back down a bit what do you guys think this could be and what should i check. Also the revs were gettin stuck at around 2000 rpm when the cluth was pushed down could this be related any help would be nice thanks

Well i would start off with the thermostat first they only cost about £8 new from Toyota or you can get one off Enzo.

As for changeing them its a doddle lol if you follow the bottom pipe on your rad all the way to the block you will see two nuts undo them and the thermostat will be inside...but be very careful undoing them two bolts they are very easy to snap!!!

ok mate will try that then first i have had a look under the oil cap and there is no creamy bubbles or anything so dont think its the head gasket as for the east to snap bolts you know what my luck is like with bolts lol thanks for your help mickeyboy :lol:

yeah i think so mate try to tighten them then undo them ?

Lol dont tighten it super tight lol just so it crack the seal on the nut first then undo it

god its hard to explain on the computer sometimes lol.....

personaly i would check the water pipes and rad for leaks little drips and check water level is up on it and check thermo stat and make sure theres power at the fan also check oil

its just had a oil change and there is power at the fan as it was on and the coolant level is just under the max mark i did notice some water on the floor the other morning but thought it was condensation as i was out the nite before and it was cold outside the following mornin

so its only when your at a standstill? are u sure the fan is coming on? who did the oil change? i had a wanker of a mechanic do some little bits n bobs to my car when i first got it and he disconnected a green plug below the dizzy cap (cant remember what its called lol) and that made mines do the same thing, the fan wouldnt come on at all. i had to leave the aircon on to cool the car when idling

so its only when your at a standstill? are u sure the fan is coming on? who did the oil change? i had a wanker of a mechanic do some little bits n bobs to my car when i first got it and he disconnected a green plug below the dizzy cap (cant remember what its called lol) and that made mines do the same thing, the fan wouldnt come on at all. i had to leave the aircon on to cool the car when idling

the oil change was done by a mechanic who is pretty good and the fan was def on car sounded like a helicopter lol

If it happens again and your in traffic, put your heater on full in the car to remove some of the heat from the engine, you dont want to overheat your engine mate :lol: you might over heat thou lol

will do mate dont think i will mind a bit of heat after all this cold weather lol :lol:

Its the on thing you can do apart from switching the engine off lol, your be the only one driving with your windows down :lol: have you lost any water?

as i said above i think a small amount came out but thought it was just condensation but the is still plenty in the header bottle

yeah, if thermostat doesnt sort it then it could be water pump, best to do thermo first like mickey said, as its cheapest, you can test your thermostat if you put it in boiler water and see it it opens, smell it to see if it smells burnt also, thats what we did at college anyway lol. good luck mate :lol:

yeah, if thermostat doesnt sort it then it could be water pump, best to do thermo first like mickey said, as its cheapest, you can test your thermostat if you put it in boiler water and see it it opens, smell it to see if it smells burnt also, thats what we did at college anyway lol. good luck mate :lol:

thanks fella i will give it a go if it was the water pump is that a major job and how much would it cost roughly

thanks fella i will give it a go if it was the water pump is that a major job and how much would it cost roughly

Depends on whos does it and what parts you use, if you havent had your cam belt done, might aswell get it done as it needs to come off to get the water pump, water pumps usually make bearing type noises if they have gone, so have a listen next to your belt :lol:

Depends on whos does it and what parts you use, if you havent had your cam belt done, might aswell get it done as it needs to come off to get the water pump, water pumps usually make bearing type noises if they have gone, so have a listen next to your belt :lol:

ok will do tomo i just know this is gonna end up costing me a fortune :lol: