I Have The Best Idea Lol

^^^^^ is sooo right

i did a topic on this a while ago i have a blitz nur spec on mine didnt have the silencer in it was going round town 30mph copper pulled me said it was too loud, £30 fine and told me if i get caught again without the silencer in id get 3 points for having an illegal mod, please remember coppers always target motorists as they are easy targets especially young ones, you will get pulled for this mate as it will be ridiculously loud, and no matter what you say i did lots of reaserch into this they CAN give you points for it, as its louder than standard an therefore an illegal modification :)

OH crap lol i get followed upto my house by cops almost every fri/sat/sun night at around 1.30am and i don't want to be loosing any performance (torque) I guess this won't be happening :)

i dont want it extremely loud though, i finish work at 12-1.30am and driving on a fri/sat/sun night out of town i get followed home by cops almost everytime.

Mate, that fact should put you off right away.

Its illegal to have an exhaust over (from memory) 97 dB I know this because i was recently been pulled by cops for mine. my prelude exhaust read at 105 dB now admittedly my prelude is a 2.2 so will make more noise, however if i can be 8 dB over the legal limit with a cat and a back box how much would you be over?

now I have been told (i'm no science buff so don't know if this is true but the person who told me is so I believe it) that to rise 3 dB you have to double the input (noise). so that should give you an idea of how loud the legal limit is when my car was (if that logic is true) almost 3 times over the legal limit. saying oh its not that loud when not driving hard makes no difference because the standard test is;

1. set up a mic a standard distance from your exhaust

2. have you hold your car at 3k revs unitl the reading stabilises (usually about 3 secs)

3. when they say lift your foot straight off the accelerator. you engine now is in overrun and as everyone knows this tends to be the loudest part. going from acceleration to nothing. (much like your car is a lot louder when going from 3rd to 2nd to assist breaking for a tight corner)

4. your then asked to do this 3 times.

5. test over.

They then take the average. if its over you given a fine and asked to change it. If caught again i believe its at the officers discretion to give you points and another fine or (don't quote me on this at this stage but definitely happens later on) you can be given a set amount of time to have it fixed and taken to VOSA testing facility to be retested and made sure to be legal if not taken back within the time your MOT is void which makes your insurance void as your car is not fit for the road. So if caught then you are driving with a car unfit for the road and uninsured. that serious trouble point, fines & possibly loss of licence :) and criminal charges if you get a really bad cop.

That is the law as explained to me and as I understand it. thought id let you know all this before you go doing what you plan.

young people in nice cars are targeted by cops enough without giving them an excuse in my opinion. hope that was helpful. :)

Any one know if any of that is not true please add in what was wrong as there are parts i have had to take people or police at their word on.

Ryan.

Mate, that fact should put you off right away.

Its illegal to have an exhaust over (from memory) 97 dB I know this because i was recently been pulled by cops for mine. my prelude exhaust read at 105 dB now admittedly my prelude is a 2.2 so will make more noise, however if i can be 8 dB over the legal limit with a cat and a back box how much would you be over?

now I have been told (i'm no science buff so don't know if this is true but the person who told me is so I believe it) that to rise 3 dB you have to double the input (noise). so that should give you an idea of how loud the legal limit is when my car was (if that logic is true) almost 3 times over the legal limit. saying oh its not that loud when not driving hard makes no difference because the standard test is;

1. set up a mic a standard distance from your exhaust

2. have you hold your car at 3k revs unitl the reading stabilises (usually about 3 secs)

3. when they say lift your foot straight off the accelerator. you engine now is in overrun and as everyone knows this tends to be the loudest part. going from acceleration to nothing. (much like your car is a lot louder when going from 3rd to 2nd to assist breaking for a tight corner)

4. your then asked to do this 3 times.

5. test over.

They then take the average. if its over you given a fine and asked to change it. If caught again i believe its at the officers discretion to give you points and another fine or (don't quote me on this at this stage but definitely happens later on) you can be given a set amount of time to have it fixed and taken to VOSA testing facility to be retested and made sure to be legal if not taken back within the time your MOT is void which makes your insurance void as your car is not fit for the road. So if caught then you are driving with a car unfit for the road and uninsured. that serious trouble point, fines & possibly loss of licence :) and criminal charges if you get a really bad cop.

That is the law as explained to me and as I understand it. thought id let you know all this before you go doing what you plan.

young people in nice cars are targeted by cops enough without giving them an excuse in my opinion. hope that was helpful. B)

Any one know if any of that is not true please add in what was wrong as there are parts i have had to take people or police at their word on.

Ryan.

you are spot on mate although on the legal limit is 98db i know the nur spec system gives out 92-96db but obvs if you dont have a cat :) you ll be louder as i remember it you have to stand 7meters back and hold the tested 1.2m in the air, and aboutthe discretion bit you are spot on again fella its up to the copper first time is a no point offence but after they have pulled you the first time technically they have informed you your veichle has an illegal mod so if you dont alterate then you are aware you have an illegal mod and your comiting a road traffic offence then points will be handed ou lets face it whens a copper been like oooh you lil boy racer on your way ya lil scamp lol

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

there should be no power loss as turbo'd motors dont really need the back pressure like an n/a on valve overlap. ive got a striaght through on mine from the turbo down with a back on the end which sounds awsome on boost, the box rattled it self off the other day and it was unbearable, the noise was so low feq it sounded like a knackered sub. dont do it they sound shite.