Knocking From The Front

Ive got a bit of a knock coming from the passenger side front somewhere. Took it to a friend who repairs cars and said it could be the tie/track rod end. Reason he said this was that any bump or groove in the road, the car tends to pull towards when driving. Its not a massive problem but something that needs doing.

What do you guys think ? ive not had chance to get the wheel off and look, if i did would i notice or see what it was ?

Are there any tips you can give on how to find out exactly what is knocking, the problem i have is i have a very small budget so dont want to buy something that i dont need. Just need to nail down the problem and sort that until im working again.

And also where is the best place to get parts like a track rod end from ? If you could aim me in the direction of somewhere that sells standard parts like these it would be appreciated. (If i went to a local motor factors and asked for 1 would i be given a standard EP91 track rod ? are they the same? )

Another thing, when i park the car at night then pull away from my drive the next day i get a "clunk" as i pull off. Only 1 "clunk" then i get the knocking, its only noticable at slow speed.

Cheers in advance

D

You got coilovers with adjustable top mounts? Ie ISC mine clunk when turning and make a bit of a knock when going down a pot hole. Tracking could be out also if coilovers were fitted and not you havent had a geommetry setup the car can jump around as you hit a pot hole.

Or if you dont could have a snapped spring, just lift that wheel off the ground and check the spring for fractures.

To check steering rack/ rod just grab the wheel and turn it left to right with it off the ground if you feel any free play then you need to find if its coming from the rack end or track rod end.

Cheers for that lee mate..

On a side note, is there any list on here or somewhere of parts that are the same as a UK N/A EP91 ? It seems if you put the word Glanza after starlet people start charging high prices for parts that you can get for an N/A at half the price or more.

Ta

if its a knocking noise when you go over bumps, it sounds like it could be your ball joints???

does it happen when you brake a bit hard a completely stop, when weight thrown on the front suspension normally makes ball joint clunk on the rebound (when suspension on the way back up).

just get it checked out and get the parts your self.

if it is track rod ends then your can do it yourself, it a easy job, but you have to get tracking done after (straight away). B)

Mucho appreciation all .. ill have a look over the weekend. It knocks while driving on fairly smooth ground and also when i tried this earlier it knocked. Engine running but at a standstill, move the wheel left to right without turning the wheels hardly at all, just taking up the slack and it knocks then, my mate held the track rod/bar and the noise stopped.. so hopefully its that.. ill send a pm your way soon as i know el_man B)

Cheers all.

And about the parts etc are all the ball joints,cv joints, arb etc the same as on the UK N/A ? or are they different ?

Thanks again guys

• 3 months later...

Im almost 80% sure its a track rod end.. ive not had the money until recently to even think about getting it done but what makes me think its the track rod is that for 1 my 1 tyres wears more than the other and also it seems to pull the steering when i hit a rut or pothole on the 1 side.. Ill be getting it looked at the end of this month.

Can someone confirm if a UK spec starlet track rod will fit ? are these cheaper ? £40+ for a track rod seems high ?