i have this awful squealing that sounds like a slipping belt but i have checked the belts and had others look at them and we agree that they are tight enough and are fairly new. should i go ahead and switch the belts? or could it be the actual pulleys making the sound due to rust or another factor?

i have this awful squealing that sounds like a slipping belt but i have checked the belts and had others look at them and we agree that they are tight enough and are fairly new. should i go ahead and switch the belts? or could it be the actual pulleys making the sound due to rust or another factor?

mine did this dude and i checked all the belts and all seemed tight etc

the problem was that 1 of the bolts had come out of the alternator so it was out of line - making the awful sound and not charging the battery - give it a check !!

I am getting a squeak on start up too, not all the time but some. I got the cambelt and aux belts replaced at the begining of the year, I am putting the squeaking down to belts sitting in pullies properly / bedded in and have slackened a bit. I haven't got around to tightening them yet myself but will do soon, the squeak makes your car sound poorly :)

more than likely the alternator belt. this happened to mine but then it snapped as it was an old one so if its an old you got might be worth considering changing it if its new just give it a little tighten they stretch over time as far as i know so need adjusting now and then.