Suspension Access...

Hey guys, going to finish off my suspension set-up a bit,

All I have at the moment is D2's.

This question was prob asked hundreds of times but would yee recommend gettin the Panhard rod. If so, Why? and which one? I saw these two on Toby's but which...

(1) RS*R panhard rod, adjustable both ends (4efte EP82/EP91)

(2) Whiteline adjustable panhard rod (4efte EP82/EP91)

Also saw "Whiteline anti-lift/castor kit (4efte EP82/EP91)"

Whitelineantilift.jpg

Is this also worth gettin and a good mod to have.

Sorry for the hassle? Mart...

Suspension is a touchy topic because there is so much you can do, and some people will agree or disagree with their benefits and value for money. Well I think you asked the right guy as everything is going pretty well so far car and suspension wise for me, onward with the info >>>

This is not an end-all report, but just a small guide as to what is available to promote your EPâ??s suspension setup. Everyone will have their own tastes and preferences in their setup, and there is no right or wrong answer as to which brand or item you choose as they will all have their own benefits to the car. Im just sharing what I know from my own experience, thanks to luckily being able to add some of these great little mods to my current setup and also being very good at finding out parts domestic or jdm.

Altho this talk sounds technical, if you are new to the scene, don't feel left out, we all had to start somewhere, so if you have any questions to ask about this topic please feel free, and I cant answer then I will find someone that can :p

The starletâ??s weak point would be its standard suspension which promotes poor handling, but once heavily tweaked can produce great results.

The addition of front and rear strut braces are the most common supplemental suspension mods.

There are also many other options available.

Forgive the lack of links & pictures at present due to time sensitivity but they will be added later :(

The options for the front are as follows:

Front Upper Strut Brace - Stiffens the front and reduces flex in the front top mounts

Adjustable Front Upper Strut Brace - Stiffens the front and reduces flex in the front top mounts with added adjustability

3 Point Upper Strut Brace â?? Attached to firewall for extra rigidity & stiffens the front and reduces flex in the front top mounts

Front Lower Control Arm - Attaches to lower wishbone mounts and give extra rigity combined with front brace.

4 point Lower Control Arm- Attaches to lower wishbone mounts and give extra rigity combined with front brace. 4 point version.

Uprated Front Anti Roll Bar - Promotes anti-roll in the front

Side Bars - EP82 only

Fender Brace - clicky

The options for the rear are as follow:

Rear Strut Brace â?? Stiffens the rear and reduces flex in the rear top mounts.

Adjustable Rear Strut Brace - Stiffens the rear and reduces flex in the rear top mounts with added adjustability

3 Point Rear Strut Brace -Stiffens the rear and reduces flex in the rear top mounts with added rigidity with 3rd point bolted to the boot floor.

C Pillar Bar - Strengthens C Pillar area

Miracle X Bar - Strengthens both c pillar area and rear strut mounts

Roll Cage - Purpose is to protect during impact of a crash or rollover

Adjustable Panhard Rod - Allows axle adjustement on or off car

Uprated Rear Anti Roll Bar - Promotes anti roll in the rear

Some strut braces can be found here - Braces

Other nice bits:

Anti Lift Kit/Caster Kit - Promotes anti lift and Adds certain degrees of caster

Camber Adjustment Kit - Allows camber adjustment

Bush Upgrade Kit - Replace the old with stiffer new ones Bushes

There may be other ingenious suspension devices for the starlet but thatâ??s all the main ones that I can recall and that you can consider. I have not added any brand names as of yet, some you will know anyway, but others are more harder to find. Guideline price ranges will be added later.

I will update this later, but the basic info is there. I have not mentioned coilovers/uprated shocks and springs as I feel they would be better for another topic later if the need from a member arises. :lol:

@MartinJKent - Thats pretty much most of the options u have bro, quite a lot, as for the panhard rod, its a worthy addition to your arsenal so it is, it certainly helped me out anyway. Do u have any problems after lowering such as scrubbing or one side scrubs or tyre hits the arch? If your running fine, I wouldnt want to recommend it and then you suddenly start getting new problems, but it is adjustable on or off car and is an uprated version of the old one which isnt that great to begin with. The choice is yours, I have the RS*R and its doing well, I would go for it over the whiteline, and if you want the top dog then cusco but its quite overpriced tbh for what it is, the RS*R= happy jdm medium!

As for the anti lift kit, you can either go with the whiteline one, or wait a little while longer for a special kit which is in production, cant say when, but I will be purchasing it myself! :lol: And yes, it will be a worthy mod for you!!! I have heard great things about it once fitted properly! No hassle at all... :o

Hope this helps :(

Peace Out

Joz

I knew "Jozpension" would be first on the scene :(B):D

Right....a few things I wanna clear up.....

Never seen anadjustable strut brace before.... what they adjustable for???

Also never seen a 3 point strut brace (for a starlet anyway)

Also never seen a 4 point lower brace

Im not dissing your knowledge on suspension Joz mate but i dont think the side bars would do much for the handling just preotection but i may be wrong :lol:

Can someone confirm the price of the Cusco panhard rod.... i want one but i believe they are £300!!!!... does anyone have one??

Also I will be interested in an antilift kit so Big Man pull ya finger out!!!! :lol::(:o

Joz really summed it all up for you there Mart mate...... :p

Thats some bloody sweet advise der bro. Thanks alot for it... I think I have to print a copy off. Haha

Cheers Joz mate...

Cheers too Sparky... Need as much advice as posible. Wanna make a right addition rather than waste money...

I knew "Jozpension" would be first on the seen :p:(:(

Right....a few things i wana clear up.....

Never seen an adjustable strut brace before.... what they adjustable for???

Also never seen a 3 point strut brace (for a starlet anyway)

Also never seen a 4 point lower brace

Im not dissing your knowledge on suspension Joz mate but i dont think the side bars would do much for the handling just preotection but i may be wrong :lol:

Can someone confirm the price of the Cusco panhard rod.... i want one but i believe they are £300!!!!... does anyone have one??

Aslo i will be intersted in an antilift kit so Big Man pull ya fingure out!!!! :oB):lol:

Joz really summed it all up for you there Mart mate...... :D

Whiteline do the adjustable front and rear strut braces - adjustable if you can measure the tension you need to set them at before, during and after racing/usage.

Carbing do the front 3 point

Tanabe do the lower four point

The cusco sidebars are ep82 only but put them up to show that they exist, not whether they have any benefit or not, a lot of stuff is for show.

The cusco panhard is a guideline price, it is accurate.

You didnt give me a chance as the report isnt finished.

There are a lot of things you havent seen, young padawan...

Are u happy now? :D

Peace Out

Joz

Thats some bloody sweet advise der bro. Thanks alot for it... I think I have to print a copy off. Haha

Cheers Joz mate...

Cheers too Sparky... Need as much advice as posible. Wanna make a right addition rather than waste money...

Your welcome Mart!

On our cars, every little helps!!!

Take your time, and identify exactly which bits and pieces it is that your're after.

Its pretty impossible to buy it all up at once so have a plan and go from there :(

Adding suspension parts is very exciting, and even more so when you test each one after they have been fitted!

As for Sparky, he's a troublemaker hehe :( Your on your own for piccies hehe :lol:

Im reverting back to JDM Secret Squirrel Mode now :lol:

Peace Out

Joz

Rear upper 3-point brace, it was a toyota option wasn't it? there's currently one up form grabs in the classified section of TGTT

The lower 4 point, is H shaped (saw a pic somewhere)

Are rollcages legal for street cars?

Yes mate, its a toyota option.

To fit to n/a you would need a specific adapter plate, its not bolt on.

An image of the starlet specific 4 point brace is very rare, its not a widely speculated part.

Rollcages are legal if your insurance will insure you with one installed.

Peace Out

J :( Z

Rollcage note - my bro rang round insurance companies enquiring if adding this SAFETY feature would help lower insurance any, they ALL responded that they wouldnt touch a car witha rollcage, their reason being that if u fit a rollcage they u must resaonably be expecting to ROLL your car at some point, they dont see it as protection from otherdrivers, they see it as u yourself are expecting to have to employ it, and so they wont insure u!

@Joz, very good write up mate, nice work!

Phil.

ALL responded that they wouldnt touch a car witha rollcage, their reason being that if you fit a rollcage they you must resaonably be expecting to ROLL your car at some point, they dont see it as protection from otherdrivers, they see it as you yourself are expecting to have to employ it, and so they wont insure you!

What a load of bollocks ey? God damn insurance comapnies!!!! :(:lol:

Rollcage note - my bro rang round insurance companies enquiring if adding this SAFETY feature would help lower insurance any, they ALL responded that they wouldnt touch a car witha rollcage, their reason being that if u fit a rollcage they u must resaonably be expecting to ROLL your car at some point, they dont see it as protection from otherdrivers, they see it as u yourself are expecting to have to employ it, and so they wont insure u!

@Joz, very good write up mate, nice work!

Phil.

Indeed, rollcages are a touchy subject.

Cheers bro for your feedback.

Peace Out

J :( Z

Jack :( , I did do a comp format a while ago and lost a load of links, so I may not have the needed link anymore

This is for a Yaris/Corolla/etc but is an example of rear lower 4 point

TGTT Miracle X-Bar

More Stuff

Front Lower

Front/Rear upper two point

Rear lower two point, shed load of 2 point uppers

All cusco stuff too

Zep Racing Manufacturers Jap but click all the links and there a shed load of interesting bits

Envy Performance loads of stuff, not a fan of the way the site works

Whiteline

• 4 weeks later...

Ya man. Got front strut that just needs to be fitted from good old Jack in Ausieland, also going to get the panard Rod to start I say. Prob the adjustable RS*R one...

Went up to this dude to check out my arches. My car is lowered so much, she nips the arch on the front when turning so rollin the arches wont help so the panel dude said the only solution is flaring the arches out or puttin on a wide arch kit... No Thanks, I think it will just look bloody shit and ruin the whole look of my sleek straight edges on my car...

What are they bro??

The dude even wanted me to put a stupid Chavy metal plate on my rear bumper under the exhaust hossle to stop the drips from erroding the paint but I said not a chance, I'd prefer the paint to erode. Haha

Arch Liners?

I think they are just rally mud flap type material Mart.

I need new flaps, and saw they have pieces of the stuff you cut yourself to fit, said mudflap and archliner so just sumthin that passed the eye, prob get burned out from the rubbing anyway... I think they do exist but more inside the inner upper arch than the arch lip itself to deflect mud etc.

Peace Out

J <_< z