Thermostat, Headgasket Or Water Pump Has Died Plz Help

First of all I want to thank n e decent advice and information

Basically i went out in my car tinight to fill up with petrol. I let the engine warm up which i noticed was taking much longer than usual got to shell filled up got back in n burned it about for 10-15min. Whilst tearin about a bit i noticed the temp gauge changing dramatically going from middle down to quarter and to n throw like this (it always sits in the middle). I slowed down to normal speeds and drove it to me mates house pulled over. First thing i notice wen i open the bonnet is that the car is RED Hot i couldn even touch the oil breather n e way so its baking hot and smells like burnin.

I checked the oil first not milky perfect golden colour so hopefully hed gasket is not gone, next i checked rad pipes these well highly pressured and extremely hot (hotter than usual) i opened the water resevoir n that was luke warm??? ok so n e way i turned me car back on it started fine sat there for few mins and noticed fans not kickin in at all temp was sayin half way but it was red hot???? + no fan?

i left my mates after lettin it cool down for 15min and took it slow all way home got home and checkked as above and everything the same. no milky oil and water seems good. Im pretty sure this is the thermostat and am sure i have read something similiar on here my car has 52000miles on clock can someone confirm what this is for me

THANKS AGAIN

oh n also on the way back from my mates drivin along temp was almost at zero but at traffic light it was going up to half way?

will i have caused n e damage can someone advise me on what this is

sounds like a sticking thremostat with the change in temp, between the two areas of coolant, as long as it had plenty of water and it didnt show in a overheating on the temp gauge it should be ok, check for blocks in the system rads are common, and also maybe a low temp thermostat might be a good idea to help the car cooling, only one way to find if its done damage, fit a stat and run and check it regually, its cheaper than taking the head off staight away

sounds like a sticking thremostat with the change in temp, between the two areas of coolant, as long as it had plenty of water and it didnt show in a overheating on the temp gauge it should be ok, check for blocks in the system rads are common, and also maybe a low temp thermostat might be a good idea to help the car cooling, only one way to find if its done damage, fit a stat and run and check it regually, its cheaper than taking the head off staight away

thanks mate why would my fan not be kickin it ? the car was defo prop hot the smell was a cookin smell much like when hed gasket goes? checked oil n water and both r fine

any thing form the fuse, a relay or the temp sender, or a siezed fan, with the igntion off spin the fan if its free then ok, check the fuse and the relay tap the relay when the fan should operate to check it the relays sticking, check power to the fan it thats all ok???