Ep91 Rear Axle Removal Help

Just picked up my new rear axle and currently trying to take off the old one. a couple of questions...

The braces which go along the side of the car towards the front, how the hell do you undo these bolts? I'm so confused...

Also, the handbrake on my new axle has been cut, how do I go about getting my old one onto the new one?

Please help! I want my starlet back on the road!! haha

The trailing arm bolts that are at the front of the axle are just long 17mm headed bolts that go right throught the bushes and go onto a welded nut.

The handbrake cables are held on the calipers with a u-clip and a pin that goes on the caliper mechanism. There will be a small r clip on the pin at the very end of the handbrake cable ( caliper end) then just a little further along the cable there is a u- clip that secures the cable to the caliper ,

hope this helps

Gary

The trailing arm bolts that are at the front of the axle are just long 17mm headed bolts that go right throught the bushes and go onto a welded nut.

The handbrake cables are held on the calipers with a u-clip and a pin that goes on the caliper mechanism. There will be a small r clip on the pin at the very end of the handbrake cable ( caliper end) then just a little further along the cable there is a u- clip that secures the cable to the caliper ,

hope this helps

Gary

Thanks mate, managed to get one of the trailing arm bolts off earlier, wasn't too hard. Just got the other side (haven't tried) and the right hand side bolt just next to the caliper. That one is a bitch, I've soaked it in CRC many times and it's still not budging, i even snapped a spanner on it yesterday. Any idea on how to get that loose? I'm in Australia so some of the stuff that's in the UK may not be available here :)

Also, when I undo that clip, will I have to catch some brake fluid? or... I'm still kind of lost on the brake part :thumbsup:

There will be no fluid leak when you undo that clip as it's just for the handbrake cable. I'd recommend using a blow torch on the nut/bolt you are stuck with. It always works for me, I don't even attempt this sort of work without a blow torch!

There will be no fluid leak when you undo that clip as it's just for the handbrake cable. I'd recommend using a blow torch on the nut/bolt you are stuck with. It always works for me, I don't even attempt this sort of work without a blow torch!

I've tried to upload pics but unfortunately i've gone over my download limit so it's not letting me :)

On the back of the caliper I've unscrewed 3 screws and managed to get a part of the handbreak cable off (I believe that's what it is) as it has been cut off just as it leaves the axle, there is also a cable that goes from the caliper through the trailing arm and is then cut off around 10 inches out of the trailing arm. How do I disconnect that from the caliper? It looks as though I could get it off if I had access to the inside of the brakes, but I have no idea how to get in there haha.

I wish I could get these pics up, it would make things so much easier :thumbsup: