Anyone Tried Fitting Mr2 Front Brakes?

well after buying all the bits to do my st185 conversion, ive found out ive been had and ive got a set of mr2 twin pistons sat in my boot. not impressed at all. anyone ever tried fitting them? the carrier fixing holes are the same width-130mm so anyone see any problems with them working?

chris.

Mk1 MR2 and EP are both 131mm centres (and both single-pot calipers), the Mk2 MR2 is 149mm and twin-pot.

If you've got 131mm centres and twin-pots then it's probably a lower-spec Celica caliper (Jap import ST185 maybe?).

i bought the carriers and the piston bit seperate, (long story) so the carriers are def 131mm, and its a twin piston ive got, it all bolts together nicly just wondered if its actually gna work, ive been looking at loads of parts diagrams and the carriers are def looking like mr2 ones. maybe the carriers are from the single piston mr2, would all this work then you reckon?

To be honest I wouldn't like to say! It's possible, but make 100% sure it's all safe (all slides properly, nothing catches, pads can't get out or bend, etc etc etc) before you drive on it....

After chatin t guys on celica owners club, it turns out i may havefluked a beter upgrade than the st 185's. The guys confirmed ive st 202 twin piston calipers which were only fited.t the superstrut celica meaning the carrier is extended to 154mm and wont run on a starlet at all. But the carriers ive gt r from rhe single piston st202brakes which have the normal carrier which is 131mm, same as the starlet. The st202 twin pistons could take 180mm disc were the st185 only 160 i think. Will hav t keep u posted t c how it goes when fitting. Need to find a brake disc now!

Right, UK ST185 = 277mm. "some other" 255mm disc Celicas were twin-pot, and the super-struts were in some cases 4-pots on a bigger bolt centre (ST205).

Also there are two widths you need to check, the caliper and the carrier. You can fit "thin" Toyota calipers on "wide" carriers, and the danger is that the pads drop down the gap between the carrier and the disc as they wear!

Just double-triple check it's all spot on, assume nowt - Toyota made a lot of things cross-compatible, but you can get yourself in trouble. My Rev1 MR2 I just bought had Rev 2-4 "wide" rear calipers on Rev1 carriers - not good and I bet the previous owner had no idea!!!!

Can you get them blasted? If so do it, then blow them over in a nice colour and get us all the hidden part numbers and we'll see what we can see!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...