How To Race Prep Your Paseo

Ok, PeteT is asking many-a-question that gets answered and we have several topics of different questions. To make it easier for those taking the same route as Pete, here we have all answers and links that you will need.

Pete is going for the track/sprint car approach using his standard UK Spec Paseo running the 5efe engine.

Questions Asked: Mechanical

• Do Starlet engine mount bushes fit Paseos?

Yes, they should bolt straight up

• Are there racing/paddle clutches available to Paseos?

If you buy a 3E-TE Flywheel, you can fit a Starlet Turbo clutch (or any uprated clutches made for the Starlet turbo). The Paseo clutch is 200mm whereas the Starlet Turbo clutch is 214mm. You can source a 3E-TE flywheel from ordering it through your local Toyota dealership, or through TM Developments.

• Are there any uprated Cams available for the 5efe engine?

The only 'uprated' cams available are from the Japanese Cynos 5EFHE engine (a tuned version of the UK 5efe). Those are the only 'uprated' cams you can use but these don't work untill way past the 5efe rev limit, you will need to uprate the ECU somehow, Piggyback or otherwise.

You can use the ECU from the 5EFHE but you will need to also use the 5EFHE injectors. And as long as you get the ECU from the model without ACIS you are fine, if you get one WITH ACIS, it will not work.

Opinions show that this is really not worth it though, but if your up for trying anyway, by all means do. The 5EFHE is also found in american Tercels.

• Is there any point in uprating the injectors?

Not really, no. The standard 5efe injectors are fine for any N/A tuning you throw at it.

• Are there any uprated Intake Manifolds available?

Yes, there are. The best to find is an inlet manifold from the 4efe 'bugeye' Corolla (1998-2001). These allow more airflow but do decrease your average MPG.

• Are there any uprated Exhaust Manifolds available?

OBX make a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold specifically for the Paseo. These can be found on eBay.

• Are there any uprated gear shifters available?

Yes, TC Tuning make a short shifter than can also fit the Paseo, I have one in my ST. They are good for quick gear changes but can occasionally be too much for daily driving.

• What air filters are available?

You can pretty much buy any tubular air filters for any car. If you want more specific, TRD make panel filters fit for the Paseo.

Questions Asked : Handling

• Do Starlet Turbo front strut braces fit Paseos?

Yes, and likewise do any strut braces made for the Starlet EP82 and EP91.

• Is there anything to brace the rear Strut Towers?

No, you don't need them either. The Paseo has a rear bulk head so produces enough rigidity to cope.

• Is there anything I can do about the rear axle?

Yes, you can fit a Whiteline Adjustable Panhard Rod produced for the Starlets.

• Suspension wise, do Starlet parts fit?

Yes, all Starlet suspension items fit the Paseo, this includes coilovers.

Questions Asked : Braking

• Are there any uprated discs/pads available to the Paseo?

Yes, Black Diamond produce grooved discs to aid stopping, they also produce pads too.

• Do Starlet rear disc brakes fit the Paseo?

Yes. You need to find a Starlet GT breaking for spares. If you take the full axle you will note it is shorter than the Paseo's axle, which will mean alot of poke on the wheels front. Thus, just take the hubs and discs. These can fit onto the Paseo's rear axle but you will have to use a Starlet GT Handbrake Cable too.

Questions Asked : Weightsaving

• How can I make my Paseo lighter?

You can do things such as remove the rear seats, carpet, rear 3/4 plastics, rear bulkhead covers, rear shelf, audio speakers, doorcards (if you fancy saving weight but keeping electric windows - find a way of mounting the button on its own..), spare wheel, boot carpet, boot lining, sound deadening.. Then obviously going to extremes, check out Riko's Project Blog, Riko is saving as much weight as physically possible.

Questions Asked : Turbo..

• Does a 4efte engine from the Starlet Turbo fit?

Yes, but you will need a custom wiring loom and ECU for it.

• Can I Turbo my 5efe?

Yes, check out the "How To Build A 5E Turbo" thread in the Motorsports section. The full list of parts needed and things to do is all in that thread.

More Q & A to be placed in here if/when they come up.