quick nick turbo smoking

That's not good. Hopefully it's something small.

When did the blue smoke start apearing,

did you change yours set up in anyway before fiiting the turbo?

I just completely rebuilt my engine, everything was in A1 condition except big end bearings which were ok but I changed them just to be sure.

The turbo is 2nd hand and therefore the only unknown quantity in my car. I took off the hot side ic piping to see if there was oil residue, and there was some blackness but it was dry, no wet oil...

Still, when on boost exhaust is ok but when lift off or just cruise i get quite thick smoke.

Anyone on here had their seals changed on their TONG GT Spec?

Any ideas Enzo?

That's not good dies sound like seals

If there is any oil in thhe exaust from your old ct9 blowing that might cause the smoke your getting, but couldent be sure, as it does sound like seals

no oil in inlet is good,

Is there any oil in the decat?

Was there any movement in the shaft, when you fitted the turbo?

If it is the seals,

Mr tong will rebuild a gt spec but prices would be hi on shipping compared to usig someone in the uk to rebuild and rebalance

Who had the turbo before you?

ENzo you have PM, but for the benefit of the thread I do suspect oil in the exhaust from having blown 2 head gaskets in the last month, but the smoke is not a constant it only apparent when I lift off the throttle, or after engine breaking for a few seconds and tapping the throttle again. Plenty of white/blue smoke

TBH I suspect I bought a turbo with worn seals, there was no movement in the shaft at all when I inspected the Turbo. As I have previously mentioned I just inspected every aspect of the engine as it was in pieces on the floor. At the moment I am limiting my revs to max 4000 just to be on the safe side and to see if the smoke clears at all.

The fuel at the moment is set at 2.9 but hasnt been on the RR with wideband. Another reason why I am being careful as it hasent been on the rollers and I feel ill at ease putting it under such heavy load whilst it is smoking like this.

That's not good dies sound like seals

If there is any oil in thhe exaust from your old ct9 blowing that might cause the smoke your getting, but couldent be sure, as it does sound like seals

no oil in inlet is good,

Is there any oil in the decat?

Was there any movement in the shaft, when you fitted the turbo?

If it is the seals,

Mr tong will rebuild a gt spec but prices would be hi on shipping compared to usig someone in the uk to rebuild and rebalance

Who had the turbo before you?

Just spoke to a really helpfull guy at Universal Turbo's who said that the smoking problems I am experiencing is unlikely to be turbo seals gone as then it would be smoking much more on idle as opposed to on the overrun.

He said it would probably be down to excess crank case pressure building up and sending oil back through the turbo, so I should look for blocked crank case breathers which would be preventing the crank case from breathing properly. The only breathers I know of is the one on the top to the left of the rocker cover, and personally mine is new so it cant be that one that is blocked.

Does anyone know where the crank case breathers are that this guy was talking about? Does anyone think this guy could be right?

I am in 2 minds as I he couldnt see how the seals would perish as they are strong, but I have read that others have had bad experiences with TONG hybrid seals perishing.

Help would be good! Cheers guys!

others have had bad experiences with TONG hybrid seals perishing.

id like to know this,

i know of two cases out of 100 odd that ive sold, both partys did not want to go through warrenty implying something else.

who has had bad experiences?

id like to know this,

i know of two cases out of 100 odd that ive sold, both partys did not want to go through warrenty implying something else.

who has had bad experiences?

Well I have been doing research on any problems with TONG Turbos (obviously performance is great and mine still produces amazing power, just worries about smoke) and I have seen various people asking the same questions as me.

This TONG Hybrid was for sale with worn seals"

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showth...NG+Hybrid+seals

Here someone else has had a smokey Turbo:

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showth...NG+Hybrid+seals

I am glad to hear so few customers have had problems, and due to mine being 2nd hand I am not surprised that it may have problems. I am just wondering what the best approach to getting it sorted is.

Because it is not definately worn seals and may just be burning off caked oil in the exhaust I am going to drive it around for a bit off boost as much as possible and see what happens...although its probably not the best thing to do I am generally out of options as cant have the car off the road any more! its been 4-6 weeks!

Oh and my PCV valve is brand new so cant imagine that it is not working properly, but I guess if it wasnt working properly that would also create smoke on the overrun?

I dont want to hijack this thread but Ive been trying to read about different types of smoke meaning different things and cannot find my problem.

I get smoke, on boost, for the first couple times I boost during a drive, then seems to go away. Ive got good compression, and the heads just been rebuilt with zisco uprated valve seals. gotta be turbo?

Yes it is, look further down the page....

The one on the right dosnt look like a Tongs turbo, the turbine blades looks diffrent!!!Pluss the flange where the intercooler pipe bolts to hasnt been welded all Tongs turbos are

Pictures: Hitssales047.jpg

Just to quickly jump in on the thread

I replaced the standard ct9 on the ex's glanza for a ct9 hybrid from tong, all went well with fitting and a good quick service from enzo Everythink was fitted correctly and primed, took the car out for a drive and everytime we got anywere near 4grand rpm it would hold back, i tried everything to figure out the problem and am still unsure if it was 100% a turbo fault but had to come to the conclusion there was an imbalace on the core causing turbulance.

Im i think i am rite in saying i am the only person to suffer this problem, but have to say enzo gave georgie a brilliant service and cant rate you enough for it dude, we emailed him regarding the problem strait away, i exsplained the fault i thort there was and exsplained i had been working on my car so much her new tong sat on the side for so long it just went past its warrenty, but enzo still said he will sort the problem out (even while he was on holiday!) he sent her a new ct9 hybrid spec 2, before i she had even sent hers back, i took the ct9 hybrid off popped on the new one she went like steam! i am seriously impressed with the turbo it self an in enzos service, and would advise the op to double check its not the seals as i have had turbos smoke while on over run but not idle as you have dersribed.

The one on the right dosnt look like a Tongs turbo, the turbine blades looks diffrent!!!Pluss the flange where the intercooler pipe bolts to hasnt been welded all Tongs turbos are

Pictures: Hitssales047.jpg

Well i'm just going on what the advertiser said it is, perhaps it is an older model of TONG Hybrid as I understand they have developed them further over the years.

, and would advise the op to double check its not the seals as i have had turbos smoke while on over run but not idle as you have dersribed.

So when you had this problem with smoke on overrun but not on idle was it the seals? Any advice woudl be great, especially if it was the seals and you had the turbo reconditioned, would be interested to hear what you did in more detail.

So when you had this problem with smoke on overrun but not on idle was it the seals? Any advice woudl be great, especially if it was the seals and you had the turbo reconditioned, would be interested to hear what you did in more detail.

bang on the money did just that, this was on a 3S-GTE CT26 but still has relevance as a turbo is a turbo regardless of size, i rearlised one day it smoke on over run and thort here we go rings are going but compresion test said other wise, i didnt have the turbo reconned i part exed it with turbotechnics for one of the hybrids (dont buy there turbochargers! thats a hole other story look at my build thread for info on that) but when i discussed it with the engineer up there he dercibed how sometimes the seal can some times rupture only slightly enough to cause the issue, to be hounest dude id pop it off and try a helpfull friends turbo just to check, dosnt take long to pop them on and off the starlets, you wana try working on the mr2 with them stuffed right down the back there harder to work on than a porche haha, i normaly drop the lump out to do most things lol

I've had 2 glanzas and both of them have smoked when it first comes on boost all it is...is carbon build up i think every turbo car kicks out some sort of smoke when it first comes on boost.

@bucket..Thats a good tought that mate i didnt think of the Gspec tongs turbo you could be right..Sorry to hijack you thread QuickNick

na dude im definatly burning oil, and fairly quickly

Its got to be seals as well mate, I have done plenty of research and the only 2 things that are going to be causing blue smoke and oil burning is either valve stem seals or Turbo oil seals. I have recently changed my valve seals so I know it must be my turbo...

well this is the thing, ive also heard of valve seals going straight from installation

Well its certainly easier to take off the turbo for inspection than the head, so that is where I will be starting, worrying that you have heard of new valve seals going wrong; if it aint the turbo, it only leaves one thing left!

Turbo Dynamics said that they would recieve and strip my Turbo for inspection for free, if its ok they will send it back to me (in parts) and if it needs work they would call me to discuss costs. For me this is the best service and it will only initially cost me $13 to send the turbo down to Dorset for checking.