Iâ??m thinking of getting an engine conversion from 4EFTE to a 3S-GTE :thumbsup: .

Iâ??ve heard they are very powerful engine, especially the twin turbo version which they made for the ST185 and SW20, and they produce over 220bhp at stock... :)

Has any one had one of these done to there Starlet?

problems after problems and chucked so much money at it

why would you want to put a stupidly heavy and powerful engine into a car that aint got an amazing chassis. a hell of a lot of work needed too it aint a straight swap you have to chop bits of the engine bay just to get the engine to fit

then theres the handling, all that weight at the front of a really really light car will make it crap round corners and not be able to put the power down on a straight line

unless your a millionaire and a damm patient and experienced mechanic id keep to an FE lol

Alot of hassle, by far not an easy swap. have a look over on tgtt, a lad called Dan3sgte has done the conversion.

Would be awesome if you have the time, know how, and most importantly MONEY lol

Theres another lad on here and tgtt, jamglanza maybe, who has done some swaps to corrollas etc iirc..

And yeah they are about 220bhp stock and are single turbo, not twin.

they are twin entry turbos, which is where the confusion sometimes come from. it's been an absolute b***ache trying to get one in my corolla, fwd was easy enough (just kept eating clutches) so now i'm going 4WD. bearing in mind space is tight in the corolla so you have not much luck squeezing the 3s in the starlet's tiny bay.

To be honest I think the conversion would defo be worth while,sometimes I think why didn't I put that engine in my r5 insted of the 4efte.and I don't know where the £20,000 conversion cost came from?it would cost no where near that.if you were to do the work yourself I reckon it would cost no more than 5k.and if you look at it this way you could spend that on a 4efte and get what?300-350bhp or you could do the conversion and up the boost on the 3s-gte engine and have 300+bhp and stacks more tourqe than the 4efte.also at that power level the 3s-gte wouldn't even brake into a sweat

just my 2p worth :-)

• 1 month later...
and I don't know where the £20,000 conversion cost came from?it would cost no where near that.if you were to do the work yourself I reckon it

Slight sarcasm there matey i didnt mean it would cost 20k but its certainly not easy

check the thread out on TGTT and see how much of a mess around it is then come back and see if your opinions changed lol

205bhp as standard, twin entry ceramic turbo. v heavy, i've had 4 st185's over the past few years, my 2nd managed 302 bhp on stock internals, stand alone ecu, hybrid stage 2 turbo iirc + exhaust, aussie D/P and my last one reached 384bhp on a forged rebuild with st205 head. cost well over 5k just in parts lol

Would be fun to see the 3sgte in a starlet though B)

sorry to hijack the thread.... but what engines could be fitted then.... i know the FE engines are all good but i beleive the 4age to be a good option???? or thats what a large number of ep70 owners have done in other parts of the world!!!

if you do go for the 3sgte conversion mate..... i want pictures and videos B)