Keep The Faith???

Well as i plan deeper into my Winter Starlet Build i couldnt help but stop for a Pistonheads break and was looking at 200sx S14's...

Its put my mind in doubt

a 300bhp+ Glanza is going to be fairly useless off the line due to traction id aqssume so am i waisting my time? SHould i just bite the bullet and seek something RWD with lots of power?

Think im swinging the same way dude, rwd ftw.

Anything above a good 200 lb ft 200 bhp starlet becomes whack imo. Im talking about round short tight county lanes not qtr miles etc.

I just cba with mine anymore...

Wanted a gt for 2 years... Had it for 4 months... Meh.

Mitch

Mines already at +200bhp and i want more...

But then again something like an S14 is going to be heavier and more expensive to run and im only goig to want to mod it to bigger power.

Perhaps i need to go and take one out

that thing pulls really well! like you say easy to mod aswell. just think about parking them tho :-S like parking the titanic, i think they would be great fun. my mate had one running 250ish reasonably standard (Burgundy :-S) that pulled well and was still good fun to drive, until the bottom end went! he says this is a common problem and warns me off them!

Perhaps i should enjoy the winter playing with the starlet, a powerful RWD car isnt going to be great in the wet and cold!

Might look at pulling 300bhp from mine over winter, enjoy the early summer in it and then look at other things

if at this point your doubting what you want to do then your just gonna waste your money when ya get further into a build. i wouldnt go ahead with somethin unless i knew that was defo what i wanna do. if your doing a powerful starlet to try be the best car ever then uv chosen the wrong car but if your doing it for no other reason than your addicted to starlets then continue lol

My best mate has a lovely S14A which he has spent alot of money on over the last couple years.. Mainly because he's not had to pay out for it as its been off the road, purely because the last one he had (S14A) he wrote off rather badly on a wet night on the way home from work, he managed to find a rolling shell without engine to which he transplanted his old one. The one he has now is nice though as I said, about 280bhp from what I can gather but he's spent money on suspension mostly and it has larger brakes from when he got it. Its a really nice car and I like the idea of owning one.. BUT I don't like the idea of sliding all over the place, which they do ALL of the time in the wet. They are controllable however and he has developed alot of confidence in controlling it, but I like the idea of knowing when I want to go faster I might not die!

Depends on what you want really, 200SX's are cheap to modify, quick, comfortable and to be honest SUPREMELY good value for money.. That said you really have to want a car you have to treat with respect especially when its wet and unfortunately they do cost alot more to run than a Starlet but then again most other performance cars do!

Integra however.. Thats a whole other ball game, I want one! :D

a late night dash across town in the starlet caused me to fall in love with it again last night!

I am aware of the feel that you get with RWD, my last performance motor was an MR2 Turb... Although that did handle like cack! (rev 1)

LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES!!!!

Either your mate is running utter garbage tyres or his geometry is all over the place or he is just an idiot behind the wheel.

Sorry if I seem like I'm being a wank, but its retarded comments like that which boil my piss. My car has 100hp more than his and I can drive it fast in rain or shine. I know guys running 500+ hp in a 200sx and they seem not to suddenly crash when a bit of drizzle falls from the sky. The Accelerator pedal is NOT an on/off switch. Its progressive. Like driving a starlet, if you mash the pedal down in the wet it'll wheelspin its brains out, do it going round a bend the car will understeer. In a 200 its the rear wheels that spin and when you add directional load, it oversteers. its Simple physics

They key thing to realise is that driving a RWD car is different to a FWD car, if you understand this and take your time to learn the car and adjust your driving habits. I've now had a 280-300hp S13, an S2000 and an S13 with 380+hp... I won't lie, I've had a few spins on the road, all caused with me dicking about and now respecting the car. The 180 has taught me total respect though. One of the first nights I got it, I had the wheels spinning in 4th gear in the rain...

Sorry if I touched a nerve mate I didn't mean to piss anyone off and for what its worth I think 200's are AWESOME cars, I don't own one nor have I ever claimed to so I can only speak from my experience but my opinion remains the same.. You may well be able to get grip into the car so that they are more drivable, but me personally I don't like the idea of having to find that 'Sweet' setup just so I can have confidence with the car and as you've already said, physics is what cause them to behave as they do and you may well be able to make them better of which my mates is MUCH better than his original one which was written off, but they're still going to oversteer on power which for me at the moment isn't what I'm looking for, but in the future when I've got more experience who knows!