Driveshaft Popped Out

Hello Folks.

I have a 97 Starlet Sportif with 40,000 miles. My nearside pass/side drive shaft has popped out of the inner cv or tripod joint, it has tore the rubber boot and the shaft is now hanging down with the three tripod bearing on the end of the shaft still intact. The cv or tripod housing is still connected in to the transmission.

Has anyone else had this problem? This car may have been involved in an accident before I got it. Could it be that the force of an accident has caused an issue that I was unaware of? I have also recently been driving in deep snow and icy conditions, could this have caused the problem? Does anyone know how to fix the shaft back in or will I need a mechanic?

I have included a diagram to try and show the problem better.

driveshaft.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for your input. Just reposting to update in case anyone knows the problem now.

I went to a mechanic and bought a Drive Shaft. I got it fitted and expected that to be it settled.

On my way home the car was STILL making a weird noise everytime i was in a low gear revving it. It was okay when I was in fifth above 30mph, no abnormal noise at this point.

Upon pulling out of a junction I heard and felt a bang from beneath the car. I pulled the car over to see that the new driveshaft has done the SAME THING! Wouldn't drive anywhere again of course.

My father thinks that it is the GearBox Diff because he believes that is the end of the line? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

it could be the gearbox but again if everything is fixed then there shouldnt be enough room for it to come out like that. i know im not being very helpful as i dont know but im sure that factory boxes with lsd require different driveshafts from ones without the factory lsd. someone correct me if im wrong. just a wild guess lol

this is a weird one that it keeps doing it

maybe if the wheel bearing isnt quite right would cause slight movement in the driveshaft and could be pulling it out under turning out a junction and accellerating if you can imagine the wheel moving in and out this could pull out the driveshaft.

or if the car has an accident could have caused suspension damage which alters the ways in which the driveshaft will move under hard accelleration and hard braking

just a thought but a geometry check could determine suspension damage

that is lucky at 50 lol

then again still makes you jump when it happens dont it haha

i remember at work i was driving a 206 and the driveshaft collapsed on me but as it came out it jammed against something underneath i tell you something i stopped quick :D :D

never did find out what caused it jus a freak accident!!!!