Hi guys, got an odd ticking sound coming from somewhere under the bonnet (on intake manifold i think), i start the car up and no ticking at all, touch the accelerator pedal even slightly and i hear it, it's more noticable when cold and gets slightly quieter when warm.

it's like 2 or 3 ticks per second (sorry for the odd description) and doesn't change speed when you press the throttle.

Any ideas? it's doing my head in even though it's not loud and i hope it's not doing any damage on the new engine.

Tia

chris

I know the idle control valves do make a ticking sound and some people do say its louder on other starlets. Its the grey unit directly boltled to the left of the inlet manifold.

Put you ear next to that and see if thats where it is coming from, i know mine used to make a notceable click with the bonnet open. I cant hear mine in the car when driving though,

Hi guys, got an odd ticking sound coming from somewhere under the bonnet (on intake manifold i think), i start the car up and no ticking at all, touch the accelerator pedal even slightly and i hear it, it's more noticable when cold and gets slightly quieter when warm.

it's like 2 or 3 ticks per second (sorry for the odd description) and doesn't change speed when you press the throttle.

Any ideas? it's doing my head in even though it's not loud and i hope it's not doing any damage on the new engine.

Tia

chris