How 2: Spray Your Cam Cover

I sprayed it this morning, easy job, takes about 45 mins, plus leaving it to dry.

What you need

Toothbrush (When cleaning it to get into the little grubby bits)

Heatproof paint, colour of your choice

Sanding paper (P600 i think)

Masking tape

Rachet set/12mm spanner

Firstly you'll need to get it off.

Theres 5 bolts on the top, and one nut which holds the spark leads down. All need to come off, including the rubber washers under the bolts.

DSC01419.jpg

Then you need to remove the 2 nuts which hold the plastic cover on next to the cam cover (Can't remember what thats called!!) One on the front and back, rachet wouldnt work here so a 10mm spanner did it.

DSC01420.jpg

DSC01421.jpg

When thats done, both the plastic cover and cam cover is quite stuck on, so you'll need to gently prise it off with a flat headed screwdriver.

DSC01423.jpg

Once they're off, dont forget to take off the oil cap, oil breather pipe and the vacuum pipe to the inlet mani. And obviously unplug the spark leads.

DSC01418.jpg

Now your ready to roll! Get it cleaned. I sprayed it with cillit bang and then washed it in warm water with a brillo pad.

Then to get the old paint off, I used paint stripper on a tooth brush which worked perfectly between them groove things and the Toyota writing. Then some sandpaper, quite rough but i can't remember which exactly it was, and flattened the rest down with that.

DSC01427.jpg

Next, get it masked up and paint it. Three coats would be perfect I think, leaving a 30 minute gap between each coat.

DSC01428.jpg

Fit it back on and adore it.

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

Hope this helps you all!

Cost approx:

£4.25 (Paint)

£0.80 (Masking tape)

£0.50 (Sand paper)

Total: £5.55 for a brand new looking rocker cover. Can't go wrong!!