advance or retarded timing?

high guys still havent got rounf too doin the ignition timing due too starting a new job but im just wondering,,

what happens when you,

advance or retard the ignition timing,

and the pros and cons, and which way too turn the dizzy for each..

cheers yet again :wub:

high guys still havent got rounf too doin the ignition timing due too starting a new job but im just wondering,,

what happens when you,

advance or retard the ignition timing,

and the pros and cons, and which way too turn the dizzy for each..

cheers yet again :)

dont know what happens but read somewhere....

if you tilt it backwards (toward firewall) that advaces the timing and when you tilt forward (towards you) then that retards timing

someone will be along and tell you whats what soon enough mate

if you tilt it backwards (toward firewall) that advaces the timing and when you tilt forward (towards you) then that retards timing

ok mate awesome. cheers for the quick reply.

:)

ok mate awesome. cheers for the quick reply.

:)

You need to make sure that you set up the ignition timing properly to 10degrees before TDC using a timing gun and be sure to have the car in diagnostic mode (te1 & e1 bridged), if you advance the ignition timing to much you can cause det which can create damage to the engine, like cracking pistons, if you have it to retarded you will lose power and response.

You need to make sure that you set up the ignition timing properly to 10degrees before TDC using a timing gun and be sure to have the car in diagnostic mode (te1 & e1 bridged), if you advance the ignition timing to much you can cause det which can create damage to the engine, like cracking pistons, if you have it to retarded you will lose power and response.

yeah someone mentioned about bridgin 2 terminals on the diagnostic mode thing, so basically theres no pro for that lot then, also my ecu cant be remapped because its a self learning ecu, but i fancys some pops n bangs, how could i get that. ive got the flames but not the pops etc :L

random i no but its something i love lol :)

no problem mate, and like i said im not sure about pros and cons but someone will...

again cheers :). yeah danturbo basically just said theres no point really. lol.

but as i said above you, any idea how too get that? lol

You are restricted with what you can adjust with the ECU you have, the only way I can see you being able to do what you want is fitting something like a bee r rev limiter and have your pops, bangs & flames that way, or sell that ecu and buy something which you can map like emanage or some sort of standalone fuel management system if you have a fair bit of cash lol.

as above mate, changing the timing isnt going to give you pops and bangs lol... thats all to do with mapping, get a emb and the mapper can make it rich on over run or off throttle mid range so when you come off the pedal you will still have a tiny amount of fuel from the injectors... this goes into your hot exhaust and ignites (thats your pops/bangs/flames tha lot!)

you could retard you timing slightly this might take the edge off performance but along with the ecu will run rich and again be putting more fuel needed through the system so you have excess to ignite in the exhaust.

not really the right way to go, most tend to advance timing to get better performance and response but again as said if advanced to much it can cause pre ignition in your chambers and fook your engine :)

as above mate, changing the timing isnt going to give you pops and bangs lol... thats all to do with mapping, get a emb and the mapper can make it rich on over run or off throttle mid range so when you come off the pedal you will still have a tiny amount of fuel from the injectors... this goes into your hot exhaust and ignites (thats your pops/bangs/flames tha lot!)

you could retard you timing slightly this might take the edge off performance but along with the ecu will run rich and again be putting more fuel needed through the system so you have excess to ignite in the exhaust.

not really the right way to go, most tend to advance timing to get better performance and response but again as said if advanced to much it can cause pre ignition in your chambers and fook your engine :lol:

ah right ok. its the farina racer standelone ecu, which i believe went out of production a while ago, so its quite rare imo, its pops a bit nayway and throws out big flames like but im just being fussy i suppose :wub:. think ill just set the timing to what ut should be then and take it from there,.

cheers for all the info guys , much appreciated again!!!

^_^